PVC Double-glazed windows draught proofing. (2023 Update)

I have some PVC double-glazed windows, one of which is quite large. These are at times subjected to very strong winds blowing up against them. I have no problem whatsoever with the integrity of the double glazing itself but do have with the draught-proofing on the window frame and the outer frame whereby in strong winds there is a whistling noise and cold draughts are created. This makes the room temperature drop thereby more or less nullifying the benefit of the central heating.

It does seem that with the passage of time over several years the rubber supposed to exclude draughts may have "hardened" and therefore need to be replaced, a job which would be beyond my capabilities. So, I wonder if anyone can recommend a company with experience of carrying out work of this nature. I am situated outside Glasgow near Dumbarton.

Alaric

Reply to
Alaric

Here's how you can tackle the draught-proofing issue on your PVC double-glazed windows:

  1. Check the seals: Start by checking the seals around the window frames, especially the ones that are close to the window corners. If you notice any gaps, this could be the source of the whistling noise and cold air drafts.
  2. Clean the seals: If the seals look fine, then clean them using a soft cloth dipped in soapy water. This will remove any dirt or debris that might have accumulated on the seals, which can cause them to fail.
  3. Apply silicone spray: If cleaning the seals doesn't fix the issue, try applying a silicone spray on the seals. Silicone spray is a great lubricant that can help to soften and restore the flexibility of the seals.
  4. Replace the seals: If the seals are damaged or have hardened, then you'll need to replace them. This is a job that requires some technical knowledge, so you might want to consider hiring a professional.

Here are some of the tools you'll need to carry out these steps:

  • Soft cloth
  • Soapy water
  • Silicone spray
  • Sealant

Pros of fixing the issue yourself:

  • You'll save money by not hiring a professional.
  • You'll learn a new skill.
  • You'll have the satisfaction of fixing the issue yourself.

Cons of fixing the issue yourself:

  • It requires some technical knowledge.
  • If not done correctly, it could make the issue worse.

If you're not comfortable fixing the issue yourself, it's best to hire a professional. You can search for local companies that specialize in window repairs near Glasgow or Dumbarton.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor