Problem with cracking paint

I've repainted the master bedroom with a B&Q "colours" matt paint, which is OK apart from half-way down one wall. The paint there has cracked, almost like a dried river bed, and no amount of coats has cured the problem. I've sanded each coat down, and also tried adding pva into the paint but each coat dries cracked.

Does anyone know what it wrong? The cracking only appears at dado-rail height and below on one wall.

Reply to
The s-Bray

Assuming that you have painted over the plaster, this problem can be caused by old wallpaper adhesive. To confirm this you would need to remove the emulsion from a small test area then wash the plaster with sugar soap, then re-paint to see if the problem recurs. If old adhesive is the problem the easiest fix is probably to paper the wall, e.g., with an embossed paper, then paint. Otherwise it is removal of the emulsion over the affected area, wash down to remove the old adhesive, then re-paint. Obviously, if that section of wall has never been papered then old adhesive is not the cause of the cracking paint.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Had same crazing problem; moaned at B&Q and got Dulux in exchange for B&Q brand.

That applied with no crazing.

Phil Anthr> > I've repainted the master bedroom with a B&Q "colours" matt paint, which

Reply to
Gel

I don't reckon much on own brand paints, apart from Wickes Professional range. Crown and Dulux are much better and worth the extra cost.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Thanks all. I'll try Phil's suggestion first. If that doesn't work then I might moan at B&Q.

Reply to
The s-Bray

Doesn't sound like it's their fault, most likely some residue on the wall causing it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike