Printers Are Funny Things

Page 1 of 2

Can anyone give some advice please.
I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together with 60gm paper.
Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15 pages through the rollers at the same time.
I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap nasty brind of paper.
I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same thing is happening with this printer.
Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it is going to be an easy job, no screws.
Kindest regards,
James
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:27:13 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

=================================It may be the damp weather that's affecting the paper.
Try 'riffling' the paper before each print job. If you're not aware of this it means bending each end of the pile of paper to allow the sheets to separate as they slip through your hands - like running the pages of a book through your hand. Insert the paper into the printer guides and slide the guides in far enough to *just* compress the pile of paper from side to side - this is called 'cockling'.
If this shows an improvement consider keeping your paper in a warmer place between prints.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Also, try turning it the other way up. Paper has a natural curl, which can be aggravated by damp weather.

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not recommended - introduces static in the sheets.
Rob
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:43:25 -0800, robgraham wrote:

==================================It's been recommended practice ever since the days of ink and spirit duplicators so if it produces harmful static we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Maybe a job for 'Myth Busters'.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Static could be a problem for laser printers that use electrostatic effects to make the toner stick to the paper, but it shouldn't be a problem for inkjet printers
I could be wring though

Unless it results in sheets sticking to each other.
--
Mike Clarke

the_constructor wrote:

Both printers have a reputation for paper jam problems, IIRC. Try Googling for more history.
In general, following the guidance given by the printer manufacturer helps. Storage temperature and humidity, paper choice, loading, etc, do matter.
Different makes/models of printers hace good and bad reputations in this respect - something worth considering when choosing a printer.
--
Sue

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:27:13 -0000

My old Canon BJC-7000 was bad for this as it got older. I often cleaned the picking rollers using a sheet of card with double-sided tape lined up with the rollers. You need card otherwise the paper rolls round the roller :(
IMO all printers picking mechanisms eventually lose their 'picktion' due to paper dust impregnation. I now look for mechanisms that I can clean regularly - but they are few and far between as the manufacturers want you to see printers as disposable and they like clip-fit plastic construction as it keeps the skill and hence cost down.
R.
the_constructor wrote:

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't like it!
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:00:30 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Sounds like it would be that shiny loo paper you used to get.. that weighed next to nothing, IIRC.

Isn't it made by Rizla ?
Party roach size
60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC
--
geoff

writes

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.
On 17 Jan,

Paper sizes seem to be getting thicker. 60gsm was the accepted weight some years ago. 80gsm seems more common now. Whatever happened to 40gsm 'flimsy'
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Carbon paper has become dated.
--
Sue

Palindrome wrote:

How does that work in a laser printer?
Dave
Dave wrote:

Badly.
It didn't work all that well in typewriters, either. ;)
--
Sue

http://www.rizla.co.uk /
--
geoff

so is 60 gsm
5 minute or the full half hour ?
--
geoff

LOL! I imagine your diy is done in stages.