Printers Are Funny Things

Can anyone give some advice please.

I have been using a Canon Pixima MP170 now for about 6 months together with 60gm paper.

Recently, when printing, it has started pulling anything from 1 to 15 pages through the rollers at the same time.

I even tried 90gm paper just incase the local shops were using a cheap nasty brind of paper.

I have switched to an HP Laserjet 1100 MS printer and the self same thing is happening with this printer.

Could it be that the rollers are dirty, though how you would get into them to clean I have no idea, it certainly doesn't look as though it is going to be an easy job, no screws.

Kindest regards,

James

Reply to
the_constructor

================================== It may be the damp weather that's affecting the paper.

Try 'riffling' the paper before each print job. If you're not aware of this it means bending each end of the pile of paper to allow the sheets to separate as they slip through your hands - like running the pages of a book through your hand. Insert the paper into the printer guides and slide the guides in far enough to *just* compress the pile of paper from side to side - this is called 'cockling'.

If this shows an improvement consider keeping your paper in a warmer place between prints.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Both printers have a reputation for paper jam problems, IIRC. Try Googling for more history.

In general, following the guidance given by the printer manufacturer helps. Storage temperature and humidity, paper choice, loading, etc, do matter.

Different makes/models of printers hace good and bad reputations in this respect - something worth considering when choosing a printer.

Reply to
Palindrome

Also, try turning it the other way up. Paper has a natural curl, which can be aggravated by damp weather.

Reply to
Huge

My old Canon BJC-7000 was bad for this as it got older. I often cleaned the picking rollers using a sheet of card with double-sided tape lined up with the rollers. You need card otherwise the paper rolls round the roller :(

IMO all printers picking mechanisms eventually lose their 'picktion' due to paper dust impregnation. I now look for mechanisms that I can clean regularly - but they are few and far between as the manufacturers want you to see printers as disposable and they like clip-fit plastic construction as it keeps the skill and hence cost down.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

I've seen somewhere that 'riffling' paper before loading it is not recommended - introduces static in the sheets.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I didn't know you could get 60gsm paper? Not surprised the printer doesn't like it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sounds like it would be that shiny loo paper you used to get.. that weighed next to nothing, IIRC.

Reply to
PCPaul

=================================== It's been recommended practice ever since the days of ink and spirit duplicators so if it produces harmful static we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Maybe a job for 'Myth Busters'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Isn't it made by Rizla ?

Party roach size

60 gsm is normally used in photocopiers IIRC
Reply to
geoff

Static could be a problem for laser printers that use electrostatic effects to make the toner stick to the paper, but it shouldn't be a problem for inkjet printers

I could be wring though

Reply to
OG

Unless it results in sheets sticking to each other.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.
Reply to
Martin

Paper sizes seem to be getting thicker. 60gsm was the accepted weight some years ago. 80gsm seems more common now. Whatever happened to 40gsm 'flimsy'

Reply to
<me9

Carbon paper has become dated.

Reply to
Palindrome

In message , Martin writes

so is 60 gsm

5 minute or the full half hour ?
Reply to
geoff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

geoff

LOL! I imagine your diy is done in stages.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

I have recently bought some 50 gm paper, but I have not used it yet. I bought it from Staples and it comes as a pad of 80 sheets, called layout pad. If I get a problem with it on any of my 3 printers I&#39;ll post back.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

How does that work in a laser printer?