Preparing barge board before capping

I'm going to cap barge and soffit boards with PVC and I've been given three different pieces of advice re preparing the wood: 1. No preparation needed (the wood is sound); 2. Paint; 3. Use wood preservative, which would require the remaining paint to be removed. My instinct is for preservative. What do people think?
Bachgennewydd

You might want to check a similar thread a few days ago.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I read the thread on fascias and soffits but there was no discussion of preparation of the wood. Painting without capping is not an option because access is a big problem due to abutting neighbouring property. This makes the scaffolding complicated and expensive.
Bachgennewydd