Preparing barge board before capping

I'm going to cap barge and soffit boards with PVC and I've been given three different pieces of advice re preparing the wood:

  1. No preparation needed (the wood is sound);
  2. Paint;
  3. Use wood preservative, which would require the remaining paint to be removed. My instinct is for preservative. What do people think?

Bachgennewydd

Reply to
bachgennewydd

You might want to check a similar thread a few days ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I read the thread on fascias and soffits but there was no discussion of preparation of the wood. Painting without capping is not an option because access is a big problem due to abutting neighbouring property. This makes the scaffolding complicated and expensive.

Bachgennewydd

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
bachgennewydd