Powerg battery charger problem

hello all ,

As a birthday present I had a 18v PowerG cordless screwdriver set bought for me from Netto ,which had two batteries and is a fantastic tool , the only problem is the battery charger has broken (it is out of guarantee) and i have looked high and low to find a compatible charger as i dont want to throw it away , I cannot even track down a contact site / number for Powerg in the uk ,has anyone got any ideas whereI coud find a compatible charger (the charger is 22v dc output I think (don't have it with me at the moment)) . apologies for the scant info but if anyone can help me I would be truly grateful .

Thanks in advance for any help

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Spray

Is the charger a fast, or a trickle (overnight) type?

Fast chargers can be quite complicated - with temperature feedback from sensors in the battery pack, a microprocessor in the charger, etc. They tend to be designed to work with a particular make and model of battery pack. You generally need an exact replacement.

However, a trickle charger can be very, very simple. At its simplest, it is an (un)regulated power supply (easily obtainable from places such as Maplins) combined with a current limiting resistor (again, easily obtainable from Maplins, or equivalent). The hardest part is mechanically connecting the charger to the battery pack.

So, if you can't buy a replacement charger and can't get the original repaired, you may be able to make your own - possibly using the original charger mechanics to make the electrical connection and using a couple of quids worth of bits from Maplins...

Reply to
Palindrome

Ebay? Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hi Adam ,

tried ebay to no avail

thx

Reply to
Glenn Spray

Netto may have details of the distributor/importer so it is worth asking via

Is there any mention of customer support in the instruction manual? Is PowerG the correct brand name? Is the country of origin marked on the tool? For example, if it was made in China then
might be able to trace the company. It sounds like the batteries slot into the charger for charging; if so, then unless they have used similar sized batteries to Black & Decker, Bosch, Makita, Draper or other big brand rechargeable tool then I doubt that a compatible charger will do. I suspect that this is a disposable screwdriver.

Reply to
DIY