power hand circular saw question

Want to buy one for cutting melamine-faced chipboard neatly without chipping off the melamine. I imagine this means having to also buy a chipboard-cutting blade to replace the supplied one. Noticed on Ebay several different dia blades,bores, with reduction rings. My question: can a machine with a specified-sized blade - eg 185mm dia - normally accommodate smaller blades - eg. 165mm ??
steve marchant wrote:

Yes, that will only knock 10mm off the cutting depth. Obviously a very large difference will mean virtually no useful cutting depth and the riving knife might not be able to be adjusted correctly.
The best way to cut MFC is to cut oversize by 2-3mm and use a router guided by a straight edge to get a near perfect finish.
hth
Bob
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:28:53 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Or score the cutting line fairly deeply with a Stanley knife on both sides of the melamine board before cutting. Make sure the saw blade goes to the outside of the score mark, and just touching it.
Aardvark wrote:

If you need a nice edge, say when joining 2 worktops at a corner, I really would use the oversize and router method, much more proof against little slips etc.

I cut mine upside down. No chips. Careful measuring and marking needed mind.
Steve
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:02:38 +0100, Chewbacca wrote:

I wouldn't argue with that at all.
I was thinking in terms of cutting and edging the melamine when I wrote my previous post.

Thanks, guys, for some clever advice, it must be plain that i've little experience with MFC or circular saws even. I have a router (again which i've rarely used) so i'll go ahead with that method.