Power Devil drill

I have a power one of those.Had a tiler doing some work this week and used it to do drilling with a bit with a big shaft which opened the chuck too far and now it is stuck wide open .I am hoping that if I could get the chuck off the drill that I may be able to do something with it.I have the manual that came with the drill and there is an instruction and a sketch on how to remove the chuck.A screw is mentioned but Im afraid I cannot find this screw.Has anyone had this sort of trouble with drill ,please, and how did you overcome it.

jon

Reply to
jon

Reversible drills usually have a screw inside in the centre of the chuck between the jaws to hold the chuck onto the end of the drive spindle. If it works lose the jaws will tend to stick open so try tightening the screw first instead of removing the chuck. The screw is left handed so you turn the screw anti-clockwise to tighten, not clock-wise.

Reply to
DIY

This screw is part of my problem.A diagram in the manual that came with the drill shows where screw is supposed to be but in mine there is some sort of cap.I was wondering if someone may have had the same problem and how they overcame it.

Reply to
tab

Long story but I have changed my name.Further inspection of the tool tells me that it is a flattened screw head so i will have to deal with that

Reply to
jon

If you mean the screw head has become flattened during use due to damage and you can't get a grip with a screwdriver blade to tighten or loosen the screw then the drill is knackered. Even if you managed to drill the screw head off (using another drill) the screw shaft will still be in the spindle. Even if you managed to drill the screw shaft out of the spindle you would then have to create a new left hand thread. I am not aware that self-tapping screws with left hand threads are readily available.

Reply to
DIY
[...]

Have you tried soaking the chuck in paraffin or similar, and then giving it a whack or two? Might just be enough to free off the spring-loaded jaws. Give it some lube after.

Reply to
Derryck Croker

"> [...]

Thank you both for your replies.The drill is OK for No.10 and 12 bits now so I just think I will settle for that.

Reply to
jon