Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)

Folks - does portable appliance testing need to be done by a qualified electrician and/or need any particular training to be considered valid?

My query is around selling on S/H electrical equipment and just wanting to be sure it is fit to be sold on. I've seen products like the Megger PAT32 and I assume they require limited experience to use and will either pass or fail whatever is being tested.

TIA Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Have a trawl around here

I found all I needed to know about PAT and it saved me a lot of dough compared to what an electrician who charges for PAT told me.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Really useful link - thanks Mike.

Reply to
Midge

No.

(Actually, very few qualified electricians have any idea how to perform PAT testing, nor are qualified to do so.)

Yes, and it is intended to be accessible to non-electricians. You should obtain C&G 2377/02 certificate in performing PAT testing to show you know what your're doing. Look for this in local technical and further education colleges. This is intended to be achievable by someone who knows how to wire a plug and knows the difference between milliohms and megohms. It's normally run as a 1 day course with the exam at the end of the day. In your case, find somewhere which also does some practical work during the course with PAT testers, as the exam doesn't include any (which means some courses don't either). It will also give you a good idea what features you will and will not require in the PAT tester you choose to obtain.

It's usually run together with C&G 2377/01 which covers management of PAT testing. That's probably slightly less applicable to you, but you may not be able to find somewhere which does only one without the other, and there's a lot of overlap.

Yes, you need to know how to to perform a test, but most of it doesn't involve any piece of test equipment at all. This is covered on the G&G course above. Note that as you're selling appliances, you also need to be aware of the Plugs and Sockets Act which will apply to you, and imposes additional requirements over and above just PAT testing. (This might get mentioned on some courses, but isn't part of the exam.)

You will also need to ensure your 3rd party liability insurance will cover you for any claims relating to PAT testing. Check with your insurer that they will cover you once you have a C&G 2377/02 certificate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew, really helpful.

Midge.