Pop up waste removal

Replaced tap on a bidet with no problems. Decided to replace the pop up waste as the unit in the bidet had tarnished (gold laquer - I know its not as robust as chrome but SWMBO wants it). Job went smoothly but can`t get the old waste out. The bit that is on show in the bidet and the bit under neath seem to be rusted together. Have sprayed WD 40 and left to try to get rust to give. Every time I try to screw off both the top section and the top section refuse to go in opposite directions. Have bent metal bars trying to get units to come apart. The difficulty is on the top section getting something into it to get purchase. Anyone any ideas to get the 2 sections apart. Is their a tool for the top section as this problem must be a common problem.

Taper nose pliers down the plug hole 'will' hold it.
Peter
beachlife wrote:

IME you have to make your own tool. Water pump pliers on the nut underneath. What you need for the top is a piece of timber with a couple of bolts/screws that will fit into the slots in the top section & hold it still.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I just had a plumber (oh lazy luxury!) replace all the taps in my bathroom, but there was one item we agreed not to bother with.
Replace lead pipe from taps to loft tank (embedded in plaster for half the run) with copper? - no problem. Replace all taps with new fittings? - no problem. Bidet waste - uh, charging by the hour, can we look at this again?
lol
Eventually had to resort to using hacksaw to cut from below the basin. Then with screwdriver and gently with hammer attacked the offending article, managing to lever off the unit from the screw thread after a long period of taking off bits of metal from the screw thread a gentle tap got the rest of the threaded unit off the basin.
No wonder the thing would not come apart in the normal way. Who ever had first fitted had used enough sealant to hold the space shuttle together.