polished fire surround

Just had a new fireplace surround and insert put in. I've noticed on the polished cast iron insert, that there is some dust and stuff from when everything had settled. i am wondering how i can re polish it , if i wipe it down. not sure if i can put oil substance are i have been told something like wd40 and jut polish it with that? any feed back would be great thanks ...
"Kris Dawson" wrote:

In the absence of any instructions for cleaning I would vacuum off the lose dust, carefully wipe clean with a dry cloth (damp cloth if that didn't work), then polish with a general household polish. WD40 contains solvents which could remove any coating or damage some polished surfaces, and definitely isn't a polish.