plumbing under floorboards

im currently redoing my bathroom, im also considering redoing all the pipework, the pipework currently runs along the skirting board, it starts off in the master bedroom (comes up through the floor boards - throo the wall into the bathroom) - doesnt make the skirting in the bedroom look that pretty! - is there anyreason why they would do this ? and would there be issues rerouting the pipework under the floorboards ?
Well the previous plumbers might have been cowboys.....or they may have been great plumbers but with the design sense of a manhole cover..... in my experience a lot of plumbers know that A has to connect to B.................but they are not so hot about the routing between A and B Laziness and lack of standards are rife!. Sure you could lose these pipes under the floor............get the floor boards up and have a look........plan your routes.......and get fitting, notching out joists as you go for the pipes.Don't put the nails / screws back into the same holes without thinking where the new pipework is...infact you can always mark the piperuns with a permanent marker on the floor above them to remind you and others where the pipes are ( unless you are going to have a stripped pine floor.........it might no look so hot:) :):)
another idea might be to create a "skirting box " to hide your pipes in if there is anyreason whey the cant go below the floor boards
good luck
Barry

been
is...infact
above
thanks for the nice detailed answer! the pipework in question is 75 years old now so i was planning on renewing, while i do the bathroom, the pipe layout is simple enough, whats the general concensus on using plastic speedfit now ? ive no problems with copper pipe / soldering but i was considering using plastic (i used some on my shower a year ago)
mark

No right or wrong here...............being a traditionalist:) I tend to keep things simple and carry on with the copper However if you have any really nasty routes the benefit with plastic is you can bend it around any obstacles:) and I suppose plastic is the way things are going:)
hope it all goes well
Barry