Plumbing Problem

Ok, just had a plumber round to fix the cold water tap in my bathroom that had no water coming out of. After he left and I tried the tap and I can hear a very loud clunking noise and have to turn the tap quite a way to get the water to come out. Does anyone think it's possibly trapped air? Rather than have to wait for him to come back, if it's trapped air can I fix it myself? If so, how?
TIA
Redman
Redman wrote:

Did he say what the fault was? Sometimes it is possible to shut a tap off too firmly (typically to stop it dripping) - to a point at which the internal threaded plunger is screwed totally out of its guide threads. Turning the tap then makes no difference - the plunger isn't lifted in the thread and the tap stays off. It may be possible to repair it simply by re-threading the plunger in the guide and replacing the washer to stop it happening again..for the time being.
Did he perhaps replace the valve mechanism in the tap, as part of the repairs? Changing that could mean that the tap now has to be turned on further to get water to flow.
Did he shut off a stopcock? He may have left it open wider, or less open, than it was previously. That could have created a different pressure pattern which could result in water hammer.
If he did do the latter, you could try opening the stopcock more, or less, to see if that has an effect on the noise.
--
Sue

"Redman" wrote:

Presumably this tap is fed from a cold water tank and not the mains. I would try leaving the tap running to see if it will dislodge the air, and try opening and closing the tap repeatedly. Failing that, a hosepipe connected to a mains water fed cold water tap and this bathroom tap may fix the problem by forcing any air out.

It could be an air blockage. To try and cure it, turn off the mains water at the stop cock, then open the bathroom tap, then turn on the stop cock, hopefully this will force any air out of the pipe, and allow full flow of water to resume, otherwise get the plumber back to do the job properly.

Update, the water comes straight off the mains, the plumber changed the internal plunger part (large brass/copper threaded piece). I've had a go with some of the suggestions, tried turning the stopcock off and opened the tap then turned the water back on slowly but the tap turns a hell of a long way at a trickle then suddenly comes on full force.Tried leaving the tap running but no joy with that approach either. Anyway he's coming back to have a look at it again.
Redman