Plumbing noise

Whenever I flush the toilet I get a loud sound throughout the house which continues until the loo cistern fills up.
Any idea why?
Regards.

If you describe the sound it would help. Is it hissing, banging, regular, irregular, etc.?
Rob Graham

Upstairs loo when flushed makes the pipework bang for five of six times ?
Dave

Is the cistern fairly slow in filling up have you noticed? Have a check next time you flush and see if it is.
JB
Try progressively closing the tap on the main inlet a half turn at a time to see if this resolves the problem.
| Whenever I flush the toilet I get a loud sound throughout the house which | continues until the loo cistern fills up. | | Any idea why? | | Regards. | | |
"abbotale" wroet:

Could be water hammer. http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/noisypipes.htm

It very much sounds as though the valve is sticking. If you turn off the water and unscrew the valve, you will probably be able to find sediment around the diaphragm. This is what I found anyway and cleaning it may it work properly for about 6 months but it started again, so I fitted this and never had any trouble since. It is much quieter when filling as well. It comes in both bottom and side entry.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZyorkieQ5f8
--
the_constructor