Plumbing noise

Hi.
I have a noise problem with my plumbing and i'm hopeing that someone out there can give me some advice.
My problem is this. Every time I flush the upstairs toilet there is a loud rumbling noise all throughout the house. This doesn't happen if I flush the toilet downstairs.
Anyone know what's going on?
TIA.
DAB.

You've probably got what's known as water hammer. It's something that just happens with a particular set up. I had water hammer after I'd changed a ballcock last month. I pulled and wedged the pipe delivering the water to the ballcock and that cured it. You may have to experiment with this sort of thing - even change the ballcock, maybe.
Rob Graham

Is this just whilst it's flushing, or whilst the cistern is refilling?
--
Andrew Gabriel

If the noise occurs towards the end of the fill cycle then probably water hammer. Caused by ripples on the surface of the water moving the ballcock/float of the inlet valve up and down and so repeatedly opening and closing valve. Fitting a collapsible tube so that the inlet water enters below the surface of the water will often cure it.
A search on 'water hammer' will give some ideas. Try: http://www.simplifydiy.com/plumbing-and-heating/mains-water-systems/water-hammer
Mel.
@ntlworld.com says...

Brilliant. For once the acronym 'LOL' is actually true.
Mel.
On Sun, 11 May 2008 07:42:07 +0100, "dean.brown503"

he wouldn't and the noise was maddening.
The inlet nozzle makes a depression in the rubber and it becomes like the reed in a musical instrument. Rather like a low foghorn in the morning hours and goes on forever. :)

Although this may be the problem in one case it may not be in another. When I changed my ballvalve for a new one it was then that I got the waterhammer, not previously.
Rob