Pls recommend oil-resistant trousers for car work

I want to buy a friend a pair of trousers for him to wear when he's working on his car (outdoors - no garage).

I've heard about various high-tech fabrics which make garments water- repellent. But is there anything similar to this that is also stain- resistant (oil, brake fluid, etc.)?

If not, then which brands of workwear would you recommend as being good for car maintenance?

I need to be able to get this in the UK. Thanks for any help.

Farfalla.

Reply to
Farfalla

Farfalla (not snipped-for-privacy@mail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A pair of old jeans. Scrub a bit of Swarfega into the worst of the stains before lobbing 'em in the washing machine.

Reply to
Adrian

Get a pair of overalls. An army and navy shop is a good place to look!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Plenty of sets of cheap overalls for a few quid at car boot sales

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

I just use the £4 jeans from Tescos, the £3 pound T-shirt from the same. On top of these I use a set of overalls from wherever I can blag a set. Best one so far was overalls from CR Smith. I've never heard of oil resistant ones, but I have had waterproof ones, but those were too hot to wear in comfort.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

get his partner to do it ! your not his partner by any chance are you ?

  • re-posted due to the original one being top posted, can't have that can't we *
Reply to
reg

Suit you sir...

Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Reply to
John

A cheap pair of black tracksuit bottoms. Brand is absolutely irrelevant.

Elasticated, so quick and easy to jump in and out of, black, so if you've got small amounts of oil and grease on your hands you want to quickly get off, just rub your hands on them. And cheap.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Jeans from Tesco/Asda. £4 a pair.

Reply to
Conor

Asda jeans. Three quid. While you're there, pick up a couple of large cardboard boxes to use as kneeling mats and to keep your nice clean drive free of oil, brake fluid, coolant, blood (if you're unlucky) etc.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Get some cheap trousers from Oxfam. They'd be glad of the business.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Unfortunately the main problem with jeans is that if it rains then the jeans just absorb the rain.

I want to get something which lets my friend carry on working without feeling soaked to the skin just because it is raining.

Do you have any ideas about the high-tech fabrics I asked about (above)?

Reply to
Farfalla

As I mentioned to Adrian, unfortunately the main problem with jeans is that if it rains then the jeans just absorb the rain.

I want to get something which lets my friend carry on working without feeling soaked to the skin just because it is raining.

Do you have any ideas about the high-tech fabrics I asked about (above)?

Reply to
Farfalla

-- snip --

"John" wrote:

John - the trousers at that link seem to be really great! Although they are sold as trousers for a professional driver the web page says they are

"Teflon coated. Windproof, abrasion proof, stain resistant and water repellent fabric."

See

But as Stuart G posted in this thread: when he tried working on his car in some waterproof clothes, it was too hot for comfort.

I wonder if these high-tech fabrics also suffer from being too hot. Does anyone know? I don't want my friend cursing me for sweating away while working on a hot day!

Reply to
Farfalla

Do you think the "drivers trousers" which John posted about would also be too hot?

See

for a description.

Reply to
Farfalla

A workshop? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:19:02 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named Farfalla randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Is it only me who's slightly intrigued by this 'friend'? Have you got him working on _your_ car in all weathers? If so, what's his reward? Is it just his trousers you want to stay dry; it's OK for his tee-shirt to get all wet and clinging to his skin?

Forgive me for prying, but as I have no life of my own, I need to live vicariously through others.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Get him a pair of fishermans waders

Reply to