Pls recommend oil-resistant trousers for car work

Page 1 of 2

I want to buy a friend a pair of trousers for him to wear when he's working on his car (outdoors - no garage).
I've heard about various high-tech fabrics which make garments water- repellent. But is there anything similar to this that is also stain- resistant (oil, brake fluid, etc.)?
If not, then which brands of workwear would you recommend as being good for car maintenance?
I need to be able to get this in the UK. Thanks for any help.
Farfalla.
Farfalla (not snipped-for-privacy@mail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A pair of old jeans. Scrub a bit of Swarfega into the worst of the stains before lobbing 'em in the washing machine.

Unfortunately the main problem with jeans is that if it rains then the jeans just absorb the rain.
I want to get something which lets my friend carry on working without feeling soaked to the skin just because it is raining.
Do you have any ideas about the high-tech fabrics I asked about (above)?

A workshop? :-)
Peter

Get a pair of overalls. An army and navy shop is a good place to look!
Farfalla wrote:

Plenty of sets of cheap overalls for a few quid at car boot sales
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can\'t afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"

I just use the 4 jeans from Tescos, the 3 pound T-shirt from the same. On top of these I use a set of overalls from wherever I can blag a set. Best one so far was overalls from CR Smith. I've never heard of oil resistant ones, but I have had waterproof ones, but those were too hot to wear in comfort.

Do you think the "drivers trousers" which John posted about would also be too hot?
See http://snipurl.com/fik9 for a description.

get his partner to do it ! your not his partner by any chance are you ?
* re-posted due to the original one being top posted, can't have that can't we *
Farfalla wrote:

Suit you sir...
http://www.wallaceandgromit.net/images/wrongtrousers02.jpg
Halmyre
http://www.workwearhouse.co.uk/shop/Result_Workguard_Performance_Level_Drivers_Trousers.html

-- snip --

John - the trousers at that link seem to be really great! Although they are sold as trousers for a professional driver the web page says they are
"Teflon coated. Windproof, abrasion proof, stain resistant and water repellent fabric."
See http://snipurl.com/fik9
But as Stuart G posted in this thread: when he tried working on his car in some waterproof clothes, it was too hot for comfort.
I wonder if these high-tech fabrics also suffer from being too hot. Does anyone know? I don't want my friend cursing me for sweating away while working on a hot day!

A cheap pair of black tracksuit bottoms. Brand is absolutely irrelevant.
Elasticated, so quick and easy to jump in and out of, black, so if you've got small amounts of oil and grease on your hands you want to quickly get off, just rub your hands on them. And cheap.
Peter

Jeans from Tesco/Asda. 4 a pair.
--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can\'t understand, they can\'t disagree"

Asda jeans. Three quid. While you're there, pick up a couple of large cardboard boxes to use as kneeling mats and to keep your nice clean drive free of oil, brake fluid, coolant, blood (if you're unlucky) etc.

As I mentioned to Adrian, unfortunately the main problem with jeans is that if it rains then the jeans just absorb the rain.
I want to get something which lets my friend carry on working without feeling soaked to the skin just because it is raining.
Do you have any ideas about the high-tech fabrics I asked about (above)?
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:19:02 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named

Is it only me who's slightly intrigued by this 'friend'? Have you got him working on _your_ car in all weathers? If so, what's his reward? Is it just his trousers you want to stay dry; it's OK for his tee-shirt to get all wet and clinging to his skin?
Forgive me for prying, but as I have no life of my own, I need to live vicariously through others.
--
Hugo Nebula

Hi guys,
Some of you obviously want to know more about this "friend" I'm buying a present for, so I won't disappoint you - his identity will be revealed. He's my DAD!
And it is his car, not mine, that he'll be working on out in the rain and snow - poor Dad!
Hugo, thanks for the rubberwear pics - a kind thought but not actually relevant in this context.
Oh, and no more references to clinging T-shirts - purleeze!

Poor chap :o)
How about a gazebo? Woolies and the like are doing largish ones for not all that much at the moment. If his gallantry is such that he insists on working on your car in the pouring rain, that'll keep him and the surrounding area dry. You'll probably get some funny looks from the neighbours though.

Get some cheap trousers from Oxfam. They'd be glad of the business.
Rob Graham