Plastic facia boards

Hi,

When fitting plastic facia boards under gutters, do you have to remove any remaining older wood facia boards? The wood looks quite sound but will it cause me trouble in later years?

Thanx

Reply to
Jaxx

I have just had a quote for replacing existing fascias and suffix with plastic..........they have quoted two ways.........

  1. Remove existing soffit and fascias and replace with plastic
  2. Pin plastic over the top of existing.

I am told that the best job is option is 1( 10 year guarantee )...though clearly you can do it both ways. In any event the use of stainless pins and screws seems sensible.

Barry

Reply to
bs

To replace over original wood facia boards, depends on other aspects, the type of roof covering and sufficient over overhang, if gabled roof or known as up and over roof type. The dangers are that if the underlay felt as deterated you will get under outer covering condensation running between the wood facia boards and the new plastic. It is most important that the underlay felt at the eave gutter level is renewed and lapped under the original felt, there are over facia felt support trays made for this purpose, but are only suitable for the larger type of tiles, not the Rosemary type. If there isn't enough roof covering overhang at the verge or gable then water will seep in between there as well, its advisable to have at least 25mm 1" overhang over the new.

If you decide to take off the old facia, its not practical with out a scaffolding, because you have to support the bottom two rows of tiles/slates and most likely take off the tiles/slates on the verge or gable as sometimes the roof covering is nailed into this.

Have fun

Keith

Reply to
keith_765