Plastering...

Some of the walls in my home seem to have been base plastered....brown crumbly stuff.....I know just a little as my brother is a builder but spends most of his time contracting away. I have watched him plastering and have learned just a few things on materials, techniques etc... I feel silly in asking but i will just the same! Could I use timber batons/plaster off cuts directly onto a wall and dry line using plaster boards then finnish with plaster?

Reply to
Despina

Yes if you're prepared to do it that way.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Forgive my ignorance..... There is a better and easyer way?

Reply to
Despina

You could, but that might mean moving the skirting boards, door and window architraves, and electric sockets. I think the easiest option would be to skim the walls with one coat or finish plaster if the base coat is up to it. Can you ask a plasterer to advise you? Or, if your brother has seen these walls and is contactable by phone, can you ask him if dry lining is the way to go?

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Thank you Phil for your advice......

Reply to
Despina

It would be pointless skimming over crumbly old plaster that has probably blown in places leaving an unsound surface ie cracks will appear in a short time and new plaster will come away from the wall.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Doing it the way you have suggested is the best option. See my other reply.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thank you for the feed back, appreciated..... Would I need insulate/fill between the batons?

Reply to
Despina

only if its an main/exterior wall? if an internal wall no.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby