Plastering

Hi, Can anyone recommend anywhere in the UK to learn plastering properly? Jim

Reply to
Jim

Look for a local college that does building trades. They will probably offer anything from a couple of days course, up to the full City and Guilds, depending what you want to do. I did an excellent 2-day course at the Aldershot Building Centre (no longer exists), which gave me the skills to replaster my house, and you'll find you are in great demand amongst friends for doing the odd bit of plasterwork for them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have had some plastering done recently, I have also tried my hand at it. The first plasterers were poor and were sent packing after 1 1/2 days. the second plasterer gave a price of =A33k + materials to plaster a large 2 storey extension which sounded expensive at the time, but the results are outstanding. 3 weeks in all for man + labourer so good value. He has been plastering for 35 years and his experience shows through in fantastic surface finish and detailing. What I am saying is that if you want some good plaster finished in your house use a well experienced contractor. If you want to take up the trade then as Brian says you need to learn alongside a 'master'. Also don't forget that it is hard physical labour, you can't stop midway through, and as you get older it will takes its toll on your body!

Reply to
AJH

In my experience of plasterers who are good at the trade, the pre-requisites are that you are: short, stocky,strong and grouchy.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Mmmmm,,,,I must be plain unlucky then because the one doing the full ground floor of my house (after flooding) is young, slim, very pleasant & the only downside is she's married!

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

Perhaps I should have said more...I live in Italy and have been doing up some houses...I can plaster to a certain extent but I want the rough edges taken off my skills so to speak and I'm sure that there are lots of tricks of the trade of which I have no knowledge. I can't find colleges here that do courses and to take weekly lessons in the UK wouldn't be possible. I've seen a couple of companies that offer week or two week long plastering courses but to hear from someone who has actually been on some of these courses would be benificial. Thanks. Jim

Reply to
Jim

As previously described, I did a 2 day course that was excellent. What sort of plaster is used in Italy? I could imagine this might change significantly from one area of the world to another based on availability of raw materials, temperature, etc, and this can have some impact on the techniques required (lime being quite different from gypsom, for example).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, very unlucky! Hmmmmphf!

mark