plaster 2 inch thick

Long story cut short:

I need to lay* one coat plaster 50mm thick - how long would it take to dry (roughly) or is it better to lay it in say a number of stages - say

5 stages of 10mm, or 2 of 25mm (whatever).

*It's being laid on a window sile to patch repair a section, then tiled.

Thanks

paddle

Reply to
the paddle

Best to use "drywall adhesive" as the backing stage, as plaster is not a good medium to work with in thick stages. Dry wall adhesive can be put on thick and then skimmed with normal plaster ie multifinish.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

======================== The instructions on the bag suggest building up with layers of 5mm to 20mm with a limit of 50mm so you would probably get away with 2 X 25mm if you're in a hurry.

On the other hand it does take time to dry out fully. I would suggest that you apply the first coat and let it go hard enough for you to apply the second and then wait until it dries to a proper white colour before tiling. That could be a few days in this warm weather.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Just use drywall adhesive and a bit of plasterboard dot & dabbed on top to the finished level if it's going to be tiled. That way it will be set enough to tile onto in a few hours when the adhesive has set. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Personally, I would make up mortar for that thickness, which you could lay in one go if it's horizontal. You are probably looking at many days for this to dry out, regardless if it's plaster or mortar.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've bult window sill's up using either using dot and daub drywall adhesive and plaster board off cuts to near the right height, then plaster as well as cement to near right height, then plaster.

Reply to
Ian_m