ping a joinery whizz

Hi

I have fit some free standing wardrobes in to an alcove, at each side I have a 60mm ish gap (it's far from an equal gap top to bottom). I have some board in the same material and want to cut a stip to scribe to the wall. Can anyone please advise me the best way to measure the piece to ensure a snug fit ?

best regards Steve

Reply to
stevej

Get one of those flat gadgets (forget their name) that is a row of long pins held in a clamp and you push it against an uneven edge and it will assume the profile. Then set up a vertical straight edge from the top of the uneven wall to the bottom, about an inch away from it. Cut a piece of the filler board about an inch wider than the maximum gap and draw a line parallel to the edge that will go to the wardrobe. This line should be about an inch from the wall edge. Using the flat gadget, steadily taking readings down the wall, draw a wavy line - the edge contour - down the filler board making sure that the clamp part of the flat gadget is keeping to the line you've drawn on the filler board. Also make sure that you pencil-mark the wall at the points where you take a reading so that the ends of the flat gadget start from the last point of reading with no overlap or misses. When you've finished you should have a filler board with a wavy line down one side which matches the wall it's going to butt to. If you cut off the spare, the resultant piece should be just a bit larger than the gap so that you can cut off the bit that overlaps the wardrobe to make a snug fit.

Not easy to describe!

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham