Pilot lights, flame starts, then burns out

In trying to get our natural gas fireplace to redraft, I've gotten the pilot to light. Then the fire starts. After about 2-3 minutes the pilot burns out, which of course shuts the gas valves and the main flames eventually burn out. What could be causing the pilot to burn out?

We have a thermocouple/thermopile based natural gas system. Since I'm able to start the pilot and fire, I assume the electrical circuits/switches are fine.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
wrlee

In trying to get our natural gas fireplace to redraft, I've gotten the pilot to light. Then the fire starts. After about 2-3 minutes the pilot burns out, which of course shuts the gas valves and the main flames eventually burn out. What could be causing the pilot to burn out?

We have a thermocouple/thermopile based natural gas system. Since I'm able to start the pilot and fire, I assume the electrical circuits/switches are fine.

Reply to
wrlee

Could do with more info, but a few possibilities:

Resistance in gas supply flow, causing a pressure drop when main burners come on, pilot shrinks, and no longer heats the thermocouple. Make sure any gas c*ck is fully on.

Pilot jet part blocked or pilot air intake part blocked, so the draft caused by the main burners knocks the pilot flame off the thermocouple.

If the fire has an oxygen depletion sensor, that might be operating if either it's faulty, or the air intake is low on oxygen for some reason, such as the fire's fumes coming out into the room and re-entering the air intake.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel