picture rails

Hi
i am wanting to put back a picture rail but am unsure as to the correct distance from the plaster coving to the rail. the walls seem to have an old line which is around 40cm but in another room the rail is at around 27cm.
Mark

room
Put it where you want it. They can't touch you for it.
Steve

In our old house, the picture rail ran all round the room at the same hieght as the door frame. -- troubleinstore

The top of my picture rails is level with the top of the windows. This is 12" below an 8'6" ceiling, 1910 house. It's the same distance below the ceiling in the rooms with plaster coving, and those without. It's quite a bit higher than the tops of the doors, and runs across over doorways. I think that being level with the tops of the doors might be more appropriate in a more recent house.
I have replaced it (it was missing when I bought the house), but I put it back at the original height, which was clearly visible after the more recent wallpaper had been stripped off.
--
Andrew Gabriel

hieght
I should have said it is a turn of the century house. Think i put it at same height as earlier room. (not done by me).
cannot go above windows as they go all the way up to the coving. will be above door by around 4"
Mark