Pc networking wiring?

I have routed cat5e cable etc to a point in my living room wall. I have the wall plate but am confused with the wiring to my router upstairs?
Can anyone help at all please?
AE
Andy wrote:

guessing no?
If that's the case, you need all the wall ports to lead to where your router is located, and all cables from these ports need to be connected to the router in order for all devices connected to these wall ports to be able to communicate.
quite simple, unless I have misunderstood the question?
Jonni
I have done that, apart from wiring the wall points. The router side is ok with existing male plugs connected. I need to wire the wall plate, but am confused with the 8 wires. Is that easier to understand? Sorry if I wasn't clear.
AE

Socket wiring http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/rj45.htm
--
Vass

Check here on how to make cat 5 patch cables:
http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp
Andy wrote:

The principle you need to keep in mind is that all cat 5 / 6 cable running from an PC RJ45 connector to any switch / router need to be straight through. If you are connecting two pieces of networking equipment together use the uplink connection / button or PC to PC then you have to use a crossover cable.
HTH
DP

Except most switches bought in the last couple of years support Auto MDI/MDI-X which will automatically sort out cross-over or straight through cables so either type works, and so do most (if not all) host Gigabit ethernet interfaces.
--
Andrew Gabriel