Part P & Showers

Page 2 of 3

people leaving all the water-tight doors open.
SNIP

AIUI there were gaps at the top of the bulkheads allowing one flooded compartment to overflow into the next, and so on.
Steve

And surely the professionals would have been responsible for ensuring that those who left the doors open were trained. ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks
On 10 Jun,

And designed by accountants.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Surely the Captain would have been a professional fool!
--
Keith Willcocks
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:30:52 +0000 (UTC), "John"

Yes. It is a totally hopeless law, an electrician can install electrics in public\\commercial\\industrial properties, which can involve showers, baths, chemicals, gases, high pressure boilers, even outdoor electrical supplies in public areas such as a busy town centre. But yet cannot install anything in a domestic property.
Not all electricians work on domestic properties, the vast majority working on public\\commercial\\industrial properties are more than qualified and experienced to do such work, and more likely to be better at doing the job than the vast majority of house bashers who some-how gain the Part P approval.
The whole thing was setup to keep the electrical contractors happy as they were desperate to get their hands on the domestic market for electrical installations.
The commercial\\industral companies would have put the government pressure to forget such a hopeless law, on various grounds, financial being one.
The worse thing about this law has already atarted to show it colours as people start to see how much they have to pay for a electrician with Part P, they will ask a electrician who can do the work and he will pass them off as he doesn't want to end up in court.
So they will decide to do it themselfs with out any sort of guidance. This means the installation will not be installed by anybody who is competent, and instead we will end up with the worst of all worlds.
To answer your question one person who is known as two jags or two jabs and the department of the deputy prime minister was behind this hopeless law.

Would someone in an appropriate position see fit to doing a seriously dodgy wiring job somewhere two jags might frequent. Obviously his house is off limits but anywhere else is fair game.
;-)

If I thought that that useless bastard was going to show up, I'd wire up the fridge door to the mains.

of us for long enough, hasn't he?

Let's be honest. He was over promoted when he was a cabin boy ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks
shazzbat wrote:

Where is the political mileage in that? It was more likely some jobs worth civil servant who gets jollys/kickbacks from the elec industry. maybe even "retired" and working for them now.. It does happen, I've seen it with my own eyes. Senior civil servant to preferred vendor .. "would you care to persue this quote from your competitors while I'm out of the room"

One that I recall vaguely, in 2003. (I can't find any record on the net anymore, but a news item was available at the time at http://tinyurl.com/r7k0 which is another reason for not using short URLs.)
The shower was professionally installed not that long before the incident. The victim had commented on getting electric shocks from it before, but didn't seem to have done anything about it. Incredibly, the contractor who installed the shower was called in to investigate what was wrong with it, so the investigation report would be worthless. My comment at the time was that this would be like asking Jarvis to investigate the Potters Bar rail crash.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Now where have I heard that before ... oh yes, someone who got electric shocks off a towel rail in the kitchen wasn't it.
Whatever next, padded walls in the building regulations.
Owain

Totally disagree with that. Knowing all the answers is not what it's about. Recognising the ISSUES, and then seeking the answers where appropriate, is.
Would you apply your thinking to, for instance, airline pilots and withdraw their written procedures manual which they use on every flight - on the grounds that they should know it all? Or would you stop doctors checking up on alternative medicines on the same grounds? I don't think so.
--
Martin

(Remove barrier to reply)

I couldn't agree more with that. The fact that someone has to seek advice prior to commencing a job does not mean that he is not competent to do it - merely that he requires further information in order to do it properly. I've said it before and I'll say it again - in the vast majority of cases, a keen diy'er will produce a far superior job to most 'professionals'. I could fill a book with the slipshod work that has been carried out for me and friends/relatives over the years by so-called professional, garage mechanics, tow-bar fitters, kitchen installers, tilers, laminate flooring installers, etc. There *are* some perfectionist professionals out there - but sadly they are few and far between!
Kev

No I would not. But the way the question was worded and indeed that it was asked just emphasises that the OP does not understand the issues or the answers.
Peter Crosland
It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it but the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified to.
This is self evident - but having asked the question and gathered the necessary information then one is then better qualified than before - which is also self evident.
I just installed a new Gainsborough 9.5kw shower in my new bathroom - following the useful instructions on the packet and having studied postings on this group. Nobody dead yet but we are all lovely and clean! As a matter of interest does anyone know what the showerer would experience if there was a major failure sufficient to trip the RCD?

A shower of sparks ??? !!!
Kev
Be careful. I had a Mira a few years back, which packed up and has been replaced by a non electric one. The cable to it was carrying 24 volt DC.
| My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved | 10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that as | he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole cubicle, | tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no problem doing | this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm to me, what's the | biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has any bearing the | shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar (he doesn't really | want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I cannot see anything on | the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with the new Part P regs, can | I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get a 'proper' sparky in? | | Thanks | | John | |