Part P & Showers

Page 1 of 3

My neighbour has a Mira electric shower that was in there when they moved 10years ago in and it is cattled, with a major leak. He has decided that as he needs to replace the shower unit he may aswell redo the whole cubicle, tiles etc. which he has asked me to do for him. I have no problem doing this but would like some advice. The cable looks like 6mm to me, what's the biggest KW shower he can have on this cable, if it has any bearing the shower is on the first floor and the CU is in the cellar (he doesn't really want to rip carpets and floorboards up to swap it! I cannot see anything on the existing shower to indicate its KW. Also with the new Part P regs, can I (legally) do this for him or do we need to get a 'proper' sparky in?
Thanks
John

There is nothing in Part P that stipulates that a 'proper sparky' *must* do anything. However................AIUI, any electrical work in bathrooms, kitchens, or outside the house (eg wiring a garden shed) must 'either' be done by a qualified person *or* be reported to the local authority prior to DIY work and then examined and approved by a qualifed person after the work has been carried out.
Kev

Pretty much. Except it's a Registered person (or person working for a firm where there is one registered person...) - you could be qualified to design the entire UK distribution system, but it wouldn't count for one jot as far as domestic electrical work is concerned now!
The other thing is that someone posted a link to the IEE newsletter a while ago that suggested that like-for-like shower unit replacement would not considered to be notifiable. The Electrickery gurus around here might know if there has been any further clarification on this, though.
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

because the installation never had a problem with a load of the size you already have. That's as long as the original installation has already been inspected by a qualified person first of course.
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:05:44 +0100, RichardS wrote:

However if the cable is anything other than surface clipped it falls to 38A thus protected by 35A breaker etc.
To answer the earlier question as to how many people have died in domestic electrical horrors during the last year.....I heard on the radio that the number over the last year was 5.
Yes just 5.
Now how much money did this new electrics scheme cost..............the setting up.....the advertising......the training... the recruitment.....( jobs for the boys). How much time will qualified electricians have to spend to get qualified again...and what will it cost in courses. How many jobs were created for the trainers the manual writers etc. A whole new industry has been spawned by the granny state at a massive cost...............paid by who.............YES thats right US the taxpayers.More managers...managing issues that dont really exist.
And to save 5 lives ?
The cowboys will carry on as usual........... The gullible will beleive the propaganda and pay the higher prices for their "qualified electrician"...just like "gatso speed cameras reduce road accidents"..................so lets have some more.
Its madness............
First the plumbers Now the electricians Who next..................?????.............Bricklayers? Mechanics? Mini cab drivers? Hospital cleaners?? they can all kill you if they dont do their job right ....................yes lets set up some more quangos.............more jobs for the boys..more knighthoods..................aggggggggggggggggh!!!!
just dont let the facts cloud your judgement!!!
Barry

And it would be more meaningful to have details of each of these 5. Where they are caused by amateur sparkies?

All very well said.
(and what exactly would they prefer us to die from anyway?)
--
Martin

(Remove barrier to reply)
A million times that cost or any cost is worth less than one life.
[...]

What - the old "Safety at any price" argument?
That's a naive, dangerous and fundamentlly flawed argument, and as such is complete bollox.
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at

From an unrepentant "upside-downer". What else can you expect?

"Stickems." < snipped-for-privacy@last.invalid> wrote in message

It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it but the fact that you have to ask demonstrates that you are not qualified to. Remember: what are you going to do if your work causes someone to die? You don't get a second chance with electric showers.
Peter Crosland

Following on from the consultation statistics (which the fat buffoons dept chose to ignore and introduce Part P anyway) - exactly how many people in the uk have ever died from electrocution by an electric shower?
">> It requires fitting and wiring by a competent person. Sorry to say it but

I have no idea, but do you want to be responsible for one more? Stop being an idiot and advise your neighbour to get the job done properly.
Peter Crosland

Its not my neighbour. You should learn to follow attribution of threads<g>
I am not aware of ANY electrocutions from showers but you may know of different statistics? Apparently the figure of five lethal incidents per year from all electrical work is currently being accepted but no-one seems to be able to breakdown this figure into shocks from appliances/defective flexes/fixed equipment. The chances are very much that portable appliances and flexes are the real culprits
Having a paper qualification from an accredited body may or may not have any bearing whatsoever on the job being done properly or the safety of the fitting of a replacement for the existing unit. I suggest you are the one who should stop being an idiot and wake up to reality. Being a professionally qualified Electrical Engineer, even one who teaches the "electricians" of tomorrow is not accepted by the fat buffoons department as being competent to carry out domestic work but somehow is acceptable for commercial and industrial work, power transmission and distribution, generation etc. Sense? there isn't any!
John wrote:

(portable and non-portable) ones account for another 14 deaths/year. Accidents scale similarly: 576 non-fatal from fixed wiring, 1700 non-fatal from equipment. These numbers are over at http://www.rospa.com/productsafety/articles/domestic_electrical.htm Prescott's own department admitted it loused up by using the all-electrical figures - themselves remarkably low - rather than the ones relating only to fixed wiring. That admission is buried over at http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_023509-06.hcsp that's all one line - if your browser wraps it, rebuild it). It uses figues of 2.6 deaths and 447 accidents - I don't know where the discrepancy of 5 vs 2.6 comes from.
Stefek

In my experience - if you want a job doing 'properly', the last person to get to do it is a 'professional'.
Kev

Old saying I heard some years ago - The Titanic was built by professionals, Noah's ark was built by amateurs.
You choose.
;-))
Steve
shazzbat wrote:

But it was still claimed by the builders to be 'unsinkable' !!
Kev