Part P - Just Supposing

I have often wondered about this.

If a person needs a house rewiring and is without the means to pay for it and it is in such a dreadful state, do the electricity companies just cut them off or is there a system in place whereby they can get financial help in the form of grants etc.

Reply to
the_constructor

Anything you need doing on your house, there are people who wil come along with money for you all for free.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dream on young man Joe

Reply to
Joe

Methinks being an NTLworld customer has affected your train of thought!

Reply to
Brian G

It would have to be seriously bad wiring for the electricity companies to disconnect an existing supply on safety grounds, but yes, they could be disconnected.

If the electricity supply is disconnected, in most houses this would mean no fixed lighting installation (and often no working heating), and such a house would be deemed uninhabitable by the council. The occupants would therefore be eligible for priority rehousing (subject of course to what council housing is actually available). There are some grants for bringing properties up to an inhabitable standard, but these may be restricted to the elderly or people on benefits.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, it's a fact of life in the UK.

As a full time employed 40 yr old married heterosexual father of two I get nothing. No help at all with anything at home.

However, my chav layabout step niece as a sixteen year old "unable to work because she's a single mum" scum bag basically gets her house, furniture, DIY etc etc etc supplied free or at least at a very cut price.

Guess who pays for that? yup people like you and me, through taxes!

So no, I believe the train of though was correct.

Al

Reply to
Al

It might have been the case in the old days that the meter reader might have reported something that was really old, but I doubt it. Nowadays there is noway that the the supply company would have any clue as to what is in your house.

I have no idea about grants for home improvement.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Al" saying something like:

Daily Mail reader, are you?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

|We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the |drugs began to take hold. I remember "Al" |saying something like: | |>As a full time employed 40 yr old married heterosexual father of two I get |>nothing. No help at all with anything at home. |>

|>However, my chav layabout step niece as a sixteen year old "unable to work |>because she's a single mum" scum bag basically gets her house, furniture, |>DIY etc etc etc supplied free or at least at a very cut price. |>

|>Guess who pays for that? yup people like you and me, through taxes! | |Daily Mail reader, are you?

Buy definition all Daily Mail readers are scum bags.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Spelling indicates a Guardian reader.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No - the word 'buy' isn't in their lexicon - they expect hand outs

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

so much easier just to shout 'ooooh nazi, nazi!' than actually engage in any argument eh?

Reply to
news

The petition is here for those who would like to sign:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson