Part P - Just Supposing

I have often wondered about this.
If a person needs a house rewiring and is without the means to pay for it and it is in such a dreadful state, do the electricity companies just cut them off or is there a system in place whereby they can get financial help in the form of grants etc.
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

Anything you need doing on your house, there are people who wil come along with money for you all for free.
NT

Dream on young man Joe
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Methinks being an NTLworld customer has affected your train of thought!

No, it's a fact of life in the UK.
As a full time employed 40 yr old married heterosexual father of two I get nothing. No help at all with anything at home.
However, my chav layabout step niece as a sixteen year old "unable to work because she's a single mum" scum bag basically gets her house, furniture, DIY etc etc etc supplied free or at least at a very cut price.
Guess who pays for that? yup people like you and me, through taxes!
So no, I believe the train of though was correct.
Al
saying something like:

Daily Mail reader, are you?
--

Dave

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:00:26 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
|We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
|saying something like: | |>As a full time employed 40 yr old married heterosexual father of two I get |>nothing. No help at all with anything at home. |> |>However, my chav layabout step niece as a sixteen year old "unable to work |>because she's a single mum" scum bag basically gets her house, furniture, |>DIY etc etc etc supplied free or at least at a very cut price. |> |>Guess who pays for that? yup people like you and me, through taxes! | |Daily Mail reader, are you?
Buy definition all Daily Mail readers are scum bags.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Spelling indicates a Guardian reader.
Mike

No - the word 'buy' isn't in their lexicon - they expect hand outs <G>
AWEM

get
work
furniture,
so much easier just to shout 'ooooh nazi, nazi!' than actually engage in any argument eh?

<<SNIP>>>
The petition is here for those who would like to sign:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Part-P-Review/
AWEM
the_constructor wrote:

It would have to be seriously bad wiring for the electricity companies to disconnect an existing supply on safety grounds, but yes, they could be disconnected.
> or is there a system in place whereby they can get financial help

If the electricity supply is disconnected, in most houses this would mean no fixed lighting installation (and often no working heating), and such a house would be deemed uninhabitable by the council. The occupants would therefore be eligible for priority rehousing (subject of course to what council housing is actually available). There are some grants for bringing properties up to an inhabitable standard, but these may be restricted to the elderly or people on benefits.
Owain
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:21:43 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

It might have been the case in the old days that the meter reader might have reported something that was really old, but I doubt it. Nowadays there is noway that the the supply company would have any clue as to what is in your house.
I have no idea about grants for home improvement.