Part P exam questions on line

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people out there who will enjoy them.
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm
taken from
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm
Adam

I got 95% on this one. Would have done better if I'd read the first question correctly before answering;-) and if I had a copy of the regs to hand (did it all from memory as it wasn't clear if this is an open book exam or not).
One comment I would make is that a significant number of the questions do not apply to Part P work.
Question 12 seems bogus to me too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Sounds a bit like the old chestnut: Question 12 - "Is question 12 a valid question?"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
writes:

To be fair I posted this link without looking too much at the main website before going to the girlfriends for the night. I have not tried doing a full exam on it yet. It looks like the <http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2391.htm part of the site should be more fun but it also appears that the site is incomplete and they are looking for answers for many of the exams. See <http://www.part-p.org.uk/index.htm at the very bottom of the page.
Someone used to post on this uk.d-i-y with his own similar web page on 2391 questions and answers a few years ago. I am not suggesting that they are the same person but more likely the new link is an idea of a previous poster. Christian McArdle rings a bell in my mind for the first (very enjoyable) Q&A site. I might be wrong.
Adam

Hadn't seen that site but had wondered where he had gone, has he re- branded?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
fred wrote:

Don't know, he vanished from all groups at the end of last year without any warning. I did email him to enquire what had happened, but never got a reply.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:04:14 +0100, John Rumm

No-one ever emails me when I dissapear. :(
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Lurch wrote:

Go on then sod-off and we will see! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:04:14 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Haven't seen him but ex-neighbours say he's still kicking. Guess serial parenthood's caught up with him :-)
--
John Stumbles

Seagull Management
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:37:05 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

2381
It was Martin Angove (who, AFAIK, is not a nym for C McA (or vice versa)).
--
John Stumbles

ARWadsworth wrote:

Here is a list of some that I culled from the group a few years ago:
1. A single-phase circuit is to be wired in 70C PVC-insulated and sheathed multicore cable to BS6004 with copper conductors. The cables are to be installed single in conduit without insulation. The nominal design current of the circuit is 30A, ambient temperature is 50C. If a BS88 gG fuse of rating 32A has been selected, determine the minimum cross sectional area of these cables that can be used.
2. A single-phase circuit has a nominal design current of 17A and a BS3036 semi-enclosed rewireable fuse of 20A rating has been selected. Ambient temperature is 45C and the cable is installed with 4 similar cables all clipped direct. BS6004 70C PVC-insulated and sheathed multicore cables are employed. Determine the minimum cross sectional area of the cable to be used.
3. Six similar single-phase circuits, each designed for 8A and protected by a 10A miniature circuit breaker are wired in BS6004 70 C PVC-insulated and sheathed copper multicore cable. The cables operate at an ambient temperature of 45C and are totally enclosed in thermal insulation with a derating factor of 0.5. Determine an appropriate cross sectional area for the conductor.
4. A single-phase a.c. circuit is wired in single core 70C PVC-insulated non-sheathed cable to BS6004 having copper conductors of 10mm2 cross sectional area in conduit (CR1). If the nominal design current is 40A and cable length 33m what voltage drop is experienced down the cable?
5. A 240V single-phase a.c. circuit is wired in multicore 70C PVC-insulated and sheathed cable to BS6004 with copper conductors. The circuit length is 20m with a design current of 25A. The cross sectional area of the cable is 6mm2. The circuit is taken from a distribution board supplied with 240V single-phase cable, again to BS6004 with cross sectional area 25mm2 and design current 100A over length 30m. All cables are clipped direct. Determine the voltage at the point of utilisation.
6. Eight similar single-phase circuits are grouped together, clipped-direct, each having a nominal design current of 24A and protected by a 30A BS3036 semi-enclosed, rewireable fuse. The circuits are run in 70C PVC-insulated multicore, sheathed cables to BS6004. If ambient temperature is 30C and the cable run is 70m what is the minimum cross sectional area that can be used and what is the voltage drop?
7. A single-phase circuit is run in single core 70C PVC-insulated and sheathed cable clipped-direct and not bundled with other circuits. The conductors are copper with a cross sectional area for the line conductor of 4mm2 and protective conductor of 2.5mm2. The length of the cable run is 45m and Ze=0.35W. Assuming an earth fault at the load with a loop impedance for the cable of 16mW/m calculate the earth fault loop impedance and the fault current that would flow with a 240V supply.
8. In an installation which is part of a TN-C-S system a final circuit is fed from a sub-distribution board. The distribution circuit from the main board to the sub-distribution board is run in single-core 70C PVC-insulated cables having copper conductors. The live conductors being 25mm2 and protective conductor 16mm2 and a loop impedance of 2.59mW/m. the distance between the distribution boards is 27m. The final circuit is run in 6mm2 twin conductor with CPC with a loop impedance of 14.48 mW/m and length 22m. If Ze= 0.35W calculate the earth fault loop impedance, a) at the sub-distribution board, b) at the final circuit board.
9. A 240V single-phase circuit is run in BS6004 multicore cable with main conductors of 16mm2 and protective conductor of 6mm2 and loop impedance of 5.84 mW/m. the cable has a length of 40m, operates in an ambient temperature of 30C and has Ze=0.35W. Use the adiabatic equation with K5 to calculate the maximum disconnection time allowable for a protective fuse.
10. A 240V single-phase circuit is run in 6mm2 two core with a 2.5mm2 CPC for a length of 35m. The cable has an earth loop impedance of 14.48 mW/m and Ze=0.35W. The circuit is protected by a 40A MCB (type B) which offers a disconnection time of 0.1s. Check that the adiabatic equation condition is satisfied if K5.
--
Cheers,

John.

I would buy some better cable, PVC doesn't really like being that hot for years at a time. And how much margin do you apply for global warming?

I had a dabble at the first paper. Probably best if I just do the chasing and don't actually touch any wiring!
mark

It's a rather unsuitable exam for home wiring... ... which gives me an idea...
We could perhaps put together an online exam which was a suitable indicator of one's competence to perform DIY wiring. It could have a few different parts, e.g. o Adding a spur or a new light; o Adding a new circuit; o Doing a full rewire; o Outdoor wiring.
--
Andrew Gabriel