Painting Railings

What is the quickest and most effective way of painting railings in Hammerite paint. I have a set of new galvanised railings to paint in Hammerite. The railings are 40 foot long and 4 foot high, vertical rails are 6" apart so I can see this being a lonnnnnnng joooob. Any ideas how to mnake it quicker? Are the 'glove brushes' any good?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

To _not_ answer your question, beware: "On . . . galvanised surfaces apply Hammerite Special Metals Primer before applying Hammerite Meats Paint"

A 'pro' doing mine just used a brush but I would have been inclined to try a gloss roller.

Reply to
fred

Just pour it straight into the bin. Works just as well, takes less time.

Hammerite is rubbish. It's _vastly_ over-hyped and it's just plain No Bloody Good. To be specific it's too stiff, too brittle and has poor adhesion. Hammerite (as compared to Smoothrite) also has the perennial problem with pinholing in the bottom of the fish eyes, unless your technique is good and you're spraying it.

Don't use either.

Really don't use them on railing (flexible, exposed)

You really are making things difficult, aren't you!

_New_ zinc is hard to paint. Either use an etch primer for the first coat, or let it weather a few months first. Hammerite straight onto fresh galv is just _asking_ for poor results.

Nope. You can paint the outside easily, it's the nooks and crannies that take the time.

I suggest either dipping or spraying it before installation, if you can arrange this. If you're stuck in-situ, then get two brushes. One's a small chisel-ended 1/2", the other's an inch or two wide. Go round with the little one first and do all the corners. Then re-coat (or have two working on it) with the big brush. This gives better results than trying to paint tight corners with a big brush and is quicker than using a small brush.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I echo these sentiments.

I have never found Hammerite to be of much use for anything, but the painting technique described above is one that I developed accidentally while trying to paint a car chassis. It works.

I would take this mans advice on the best paint: I got as far as 'not hammerite' but never really discovered anything better...myself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Dingley" Newsgroups: free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:21 AM Subject: Re: Painting Railings

What do you suggest to use instead?

The railings have been up since December last year (6 months). Hammerite (or Smootherite) was recommended by the manufacturers. We didn't get them to spray them as SWMBO couldn't decide on Green or Black!

Seems a good idea, I will do this but with which paint?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Whatever you've got. Personally I like to buy Leyland's paints and have yet to be disappointed with any of them.

If you can live with black, then a bituminous paint like truck chassis paint, lasts far better than anything less flexible and more colourful.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Any colour as long as it's black

where have I heard that before ?

Reply to
raden

Same reason. Bituminous paint - it was the only viable sort for that application, back in Ford's day.

Reply to
Andy Dingley