Painting furniture

I have some untreated pine drawers that I would like to paint white for use in a nursery.
What type of paint is best for this job? I was thiking of using a undercoat/primer first, but then didn't know if gloss on top of this, or normal emulsion with another coat of varnish would be best.
Any advice would be very welcome :)
Head of Toast wrote:

All oil based and lead free - a primer, undercoat x 2 coats and then gloss (1 or 2 coats).
Conversly, you could use all water based paints [1] but in my opinion, don't mix oil and water based paints if want a durable finish.
[1] - A water based primer/undercoat and a water based gloss - personally I would also avoid using emulsion paints as a primer/undercoat per se.
BRG
IMHO... use a combination primer/undercoat (from B&Q or the like). As regards the top coat, I have found the non-gloss top coat to be not very durable - I used it on a stair bannister fitting and it chips like mad. So I would use a good gloss paint as a finish. Or even a top coat of matt high quality varnish on top of whatever you use.
I remember a few years ago re-doing some bedroom furniture in that wood-finish stuff - where you have a comb-thingy to create the grains. I applied two coats of matt varnish over the top, because it chipped so easily. It's still OK (which is not to say I particularly like it now!).
Barb UK

Thanks for the advice.