Painting External Wood ?

Hi Everyone, I would value your help once more please. We have a wooden garden shed and fences. We do not like the colours of the wood preservers, ie red cedar etc, so the question is, can we use masonary paint what we use on the external walls of the house and would this give better protection than say using external gloss / matt paint ..... ? -- the_constructor
For timber out of doors I would always recommend micropourous/moisture vapour permable paint or stain, this basically allows your timber to breathe and release any moisture contained within it but stops any new moisture from gaining access. Its not the cheapest paint/stain but it is well worth it if you want your timber to last!
For more info try - www.sikkens.co.uk or www.imprasystems.co.uk
James www.woodworkersuk.co.uk
message

I'd go along with the other persons post. Sikkens is probably about the best preservative to use and has much better pigments than many others. You can get it in a range of colours and I would imagine that you could get any colour you wanted mixed. Personally, I wouldn't paint anything that was outside the house!!
message