Painting Breezeblocks

I have masonry paint and brushes and am ready to go but wonder if there are any words of wisdom and experience out there that can save me misery. Should I use two medium coats or one thick coat of paint and what is the best way to make sure the pesky little holes get covered/filled up ?

kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan

I think it will a tall order to get paint to truly fill the pores in breeze block. If you want a smooth finish then a skim over with plaster or filler or even artex for easy of application, on well dampened blocks would be the way to go.

If you mean just to get good colour coverage then painting or spraying with a watered down emulsion coat (10-20% water) to seal and then a full strength coat. A brush or spray would be better than a roller on such a surface.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When the "little holes" are not filled and water gets in it is like water getting into the borer holes in old exterior timber, it makes the paint bubble and eventually come off in patches. From

"E-B Emulsa-Bond acrylic bonder makes paint to stick to chalky, dusty, porous surfaces, masonry, concrete, old wood, weathered cement sheets, aluminium cladding, kalsomine."

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P
:

Bob

Thank you Bob I am using your suggestion to water down the paint and it is much easier to use and getting a reasonable finish, I am painting inside stable walls and the horses don't mind if it is not perfect :-)

kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan

Thank you for that information, I will remember when I have to do the next lot.

kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan

I see from your reply to Bob that you are painting indoors so it's not as important, but for exterior painting on difficult surfaces it's well worth getting whatever paint additives will make it grab, stick, penetrate and waterproof because the one job worse than painting difficult surfaces it painting them when the previous paint has bubbled, flaked, and worst of all is still hanging on but unbeknown to you has loosened its grip on the wall and the wetting and drying action of the new coat of paint is enough to make it fail, visibly!

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P
:

all interesting stuff thank you, there is talk of an extension being built, if that happens someone else can do the painting but I can tell them how to do it :-)))

kate

Reply to
Kate Morgan

Congratulations, you're a fast learner!!!

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P