Painting after plastering

How soon can I paint after a skim coat of plaster and do I need to do anything to seal the plaster first?

Thanks in anticipations Simon.

Reply to
SiG

This time of the year (still cold) then to be on the safe side I would allow up to 2 weeks to dry properly, and prime with diluted emulsion as stated on the can.

Phil

----

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Thanks Phil ! I just wondered because I've been watching them on DIY SOS and they seem to plaster then paint as soon as it seems touch dry !

Thanx Simon :-)

Reply to
SiG

Hence you sometimes hear the words: "It fell down a fortnight after they finished".

Reply to
EricP

Use a one coat paint and make the first coat diluted and then a normal coat can be applied 24 hours after the plaster has dried.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You can buy paint specially for this purpose (although I doubt very much that's what they actually use on such programmes). It's a very porous emulsion paint.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well, I did this about 20 years ago and it's still OK! Been overpainted since.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I'd leave it a week - but depends on how dry it looks. Depends on how thick the coat is. If just a skim (1/4"), 3-4 days may be enough. Turn the heating up or get a small fan heater in there for a few days if you want to speed it up.

Don't paint before its fully dry - I did once and it left a strange unattractive finish on the final coat of paint, even after repainting.

To prime, just use watered-down emulsion. Probably get away with normal emulsion if you only want to do one coat.

--Dan.

Reply to
Dan Evans

Wrong! never ever speed up the drying process of a skimmed plastered wall with a blower heater or any other form of heating as this will result in the plaster cracking the plaster is also known to crack on old crumbly wall type plaster.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Dan Evans