Painting after plastering

How soon can I paint after a skim coat of plaster and do I need to do anything to seal the plaster first?
Thanks in anticipations Simon.
"SiG"wrote:

This time of the year (still cold) then to be on the safe side I would allow up to 2 weeks to dry properly, and prime with diluted emulsion as stated on the can.
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/paintnewplaster.htm
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/when_to_paint_new_plaster.htm
Phil ----

I just wondered because I've been watching them on DIY SOS and they seem to plaster then paint as soon as it seems touch dry !
Thanx Simon :-)

they finished".
SiG wrote:

Use a one coat paint and make the first coat diluted and then a normal coat can be applied 24 hours after the plaster has dried.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

You can buy paint specially for this purpose (although I doubt very much that's what they actually use on such programmes). It's a very porous emulsion paint.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Well, I did this about 20 years ago and it's still OK! Been overpainted since.
Rob Graham
I'd leave it a week - but depends on how dry it looks. Depends on how thick the coat is. If just a skim (1/4"), 3-4 days may be enough. Turn the heating up or get a small fan heater in there for a few days if you want to speed it up.
Don't paint before its fully dry - I did once and it left a strange unattractive finish on the final coat of paint, even after repainting.
To prime, just use watered-down emulsion. Probably get away with normal emulsion if you only want to do one coat.
--Dan.

Dan Evans wrote:

Wrong! never ever speed up the drying process of a skimmed plastered wall with a blower heater or any other form of heating as this will result in the plaster cracking the plaster is also known to crack on old crumbly wall type plaster.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

OK, fair enough - take your point. When I did it this way, I guess I must have been lucky!