painting

Folks, I have always papered my walls when redecorating,but I will just emulsion them this time when I strip them.Will I need to treat the walls in any way as they'll be full of wallpaper paste?Cheers

Reply to
J.Stewert

They will need to be thoroughly washed first with Sugar soap.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

1 Strip paper and wash walls *and* woodwork with sugar soap (use a scraper on any stubborn or thick parts) to remove the paste. 2 When dry. If the walls have been previously emulsioned, rub back any-and -all lifted paintwork to the 'solid' and feathered edge (or fill with fine filler and rub down). If neither is done, you'll see the edge of the damage paintwork through the emulsion. 3 Fill in any holes and cracks in the wall and rub down. 4 Apply a first coat of coat 50/50 (emulsion and water) as a 'mist' coat primer and to highlight any defects. 5 After remedyng any defects and rubbing down - apply two (or three if needed) full coats of undiluted emulsion.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Reply to
J.Stewert

You can if you wish, or even use diluted unibond or a patent stain sealer, but if you are after a good, sound finish that will last and look good - then I'm afraid that the ony way to get that finish with emulsion, is the hard way.

But remember, whatever coating you use, you will have to remove the wallpaper paste first, because if you don't. you may well find that your nice new sealer may well start peeling off the wall as soon as the paste is 'wetted' with the stuff - or even a few days after when the combined weight of the sealer and emulsion starts 'pulling' on the paste.

All the best with the job.

Cash

Reply to
Cash