Painters damage

After the painters I hired, and paid, left yesterday after 2 days of work, I discovered damaged closet door. What rights, if any, do home owners have? How do I go about recompense or replacement? Lorne

Reply to
hlmw

I am not a lawyer, but the law says that if you make an agreement to have work carried out then it must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. I would first contact the painters about them arranging to fix the door. Are they self-employed, or are they employed by a company to whom you can complain? If they deny responsibility I would either fix the door myself, or if that wasn't an option I would get some estimates for having it fixed and then consider either suing the painters in the small claims court for the cost of fixing, or I would claim on my house buildings insurance. Regarding the small claims route, I don't know where you stand regarding being able to prove that the painters caused the damage (in the case of your word against theirs), or the financial implications for you if you lost the case. Someone on uk.legal or uk.legal.moderated should be able to advise. Citizens Advice and Trading Standards can also advise.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

If they are working legitimately they will have indemnity insurance to cover damage to customers' property. Whether they admit liability and make a claim is another matter.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

That's a big if! Some my grandfather hired to do the outside of his house set fire to the old paint whilst removing it with blowtorches and the subsequent fire destroyed the bay window and damaged the interior of the room. They disappeared as the fire brigade pulled up according to the neighbours and the mobile no.they gave no longer works!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:22:55 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named hlmw randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The best one is to withhold payment [1] for the amount of the repair.

[1] Which is why one should never pay the full price immediately for any work. A general rule is, the bigger the cowboy, the quicker they are to demand payment. The biggest of them all demand it in cash.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula