Over a grand to move the electric meter!

Page 2 of 2
Martin Warby wrote:

Well that is a good way of not getting repeat business.
--
Adam

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:56:33 -0000, ARWadsworth
<>

But how many times would you need to get an unmetered supply installed?
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

Everytime you move?
--
Adam

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:18:34 -0700, jgharston wrote:

Why can't they solder/weld (I'm not sure that soldering is still the right term given the size of the cables!) with a sleeve over the top (and put it in a box if they're worried about mechanical strain relief - but the point is it would end up as a solid joint)?
Surely that would be no more and no less tamper-proof than the actual cables either side of the join?
Jules Richardson wrote:

They used to solder massive cores in the street[1] - I believe they usually crimp them these days.
Can you believe the soldering involved pouring molten solder from a ladle over the cable and ferrule and catching the runoff in another ladle - all while the cable, and ladles were live whilst sitting on a rubber mat...
--
Tim Watts

clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I had it done a few years ago in a house I was renovating. Moved from inside to out for about 140. I think they were prepared to extend/replace the cable from the pole but there was enough slack that they didn't need to bother.
That was Western Power Distribution (was SWEB.)
--
Scott

In article

My meter was moved at some time from the cellar to the top of the cellar stairs. They used SWA cable from the riser to the meter.
--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

This business of no places where unmetered current can be taken from is a bit of a joke, after all, anyone mad enough to try this will not be swayed by insulation in any case. Its almost like presuming guilt though, don't you think?
Brian
--
Brian Gaff - snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

<snip>
One question nobody seems to have asked. Do you have to use your current retail supplier of electricity to do this, or can a qualified 3rd party (or other electricity supplier) do the work?
[Not even bunny]
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:19:06 -0000, "David WE Roberts"

It's the 'local' distribution network operator who does the work, who will almost certainly not be your supplier the way the industry has fragmented. I can't recall OFGEM opening up this area of work to anyone else.
On Oct 31, 10:59am, "Dave Liquorice"

Not the case
We had ours moved by EDF who are our DNO but they said any Lloyds registered company can move heads. The only problem is that EDF have a universal service obligation to do this and the other companies do not cost to move up to 10 meters just over a grand. Meter company did not charge The It turned an integral garage into a proper bedroom and was worth every penny.
It was jointed to the lead sheathed incomer under our block paved drive which they dug but I had to fill and the engineers said they did 4 a day. However if the job had gone wroing they would I expect bring a genny for temp power I met a few clowns who said thet they knew a man who would come in his lunch hour for a few hundred quid cash and do the job but I like to get things done by the book so I declined