Outside WC

At present we only have a WC inside our house, in the bathroom, and this is a serious inconvenience (no pun intended) at times. Because of this I am thinking of using part of my garage to build a small 'wet' room - incorporating a shower and washbasin, etc - to use when I get pretty mucky (as I oftern do) whilst gardening, etc. I propose to dig out a channel along the length of the garage to connect with the drains as they leave the property as they head for the mains sewer. Whilst I would appreciate any advice/recommendations from the more knowledgeable here, regarding best practice, current regulation - and so on, my main question relates to the waste from the washbasin, shower, etc. Do I have to have a separate pipe from the garage for this, or can I somehow connect into the soil pipe around the proposed WC?

Reply to
Barney

What drainage systems do you have at or near the garage? Any fool can bring water in, but it takes a good plumber to remove the used water safely and without mess.

You really need to research on what the drainage systems will stand up to in the way of changes, and do you have enough money and other resources to complete the job safely and securely. This type of work isn't simple, and it carries many regulations on health, welfare and safety, and, of course, structural layouts.

So don't take the job on until you've researched through some of the

website for building regulations and health and safety pages relevant to this type of work.

Reply to
BigWallop

Barney wrote: - and so on, my main question relates to the waste from the

Basically, you can cut into a soil pipe either above the shit pipe, or about

10in (?) below it, but not at the same level. The shower usually ends up lower, and the basin waste higher. Cheers Gilbert
Reply to
gilbert

Well, thank you. With the exception of casting aspersions on my sanity, my common sense, my general competence and my financial solvency I reckon you've been most useful. And, by the way, I think I can manage to use google on my own.

Reply to
Barney

Many thanks

Reply to
Barney

It wasn't meant to be offensive, just a saying in the trade. Many people talk about getting appliances installed, and they think only of the supply of water to it. Most don't realise that the used water has to go back out again properly.

Sincerely sorry if I offended you by the remark, but it was a joking comment rather than a slander of your skills.

Good luck with it all.

Reply to
BigWallop

Fair enough, Big Wallop, and thanks. If I post here, asking advice, I always try to sound as modest as possible - my logic being that if you want someone's help you shouldn't come the 'Johnny-know-all'. In doing that perhaps I sound a little naive and inexperienced, but I can assure you that I'm not. In fact I have a great deal of experience, and I know what I'm doing, but I'm sensible enough to seek advice if I'm not completely sure about anything.

Reply to
Barney