Outdoor filler recommendations please

I'm posting this query on behalf of a neighbour. He has used a silicone based filler in the past to fill a crack in the house exterior plaster before painting but the crack becomes visible again some time afterwards. Can somebody please recommend a good quality outdoor filler which will give more permanent results? Regards Patrick.
Patrick E. King wrote:

The same cracks will appear and reappear forever as this is slight foundation movement. You don't say what type of rendering thats on the wall?
the only solution I can think of is to put some gauze or plasteres scrim over the crack and fill over that.
I've found dry wall adhesive a good filler for outside if its painted afterwards,this adhesive is basically for interior plastering but dries rock solid like concrete. The only snag is it comes in big bags. :-( maybe if he knows who's about to plaster might hand him some?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Patrick E. King wrote:

Most paints don't adhere to silicone very well. Most hardware stores will sell acrylic based sealants/gap fillers which are paintable.
Mike

I have used decorators caulk similar to those on the Screwfix web site - see http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId 36146&ts1056 with successful results. Just check that the one you select is suitable for exterior use (they generally are).
HTH
Dave