Outdoor CCTV Camera ?

I am wanting to fit an external CCTV camera.
Which is best Black & White or Colour ..... ?
Anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price instead of paying the silly money some firms want ..... ?
Many thanks.
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

The Argos one is the conventional big metal box b&w and has been working (without going near it) for years. It is the one that gets noticed - so is best from the deterrent viewpoint. It is way up just under the eaves, some 40 foot off the ground, and covers a huge area.
The Maplin one is tiny (also b&w), so no one notices it. Important if the camera is likely to get vandalised, if seen. It has a wider viewing angle than the Argos one - important as it is much closer to the area being covered. It doesn't have IR LEDS so doesn't give any night-time illumination. It also has a built in microphone which works very well.
The ebay one is wide angle and colour, is very sensitive and has loads of IR and has more lines and hence better resolution that the others. But no sound.
I'd look to buy from ebay - but look at the viewing angle, light levels, number of lines (resolution), water-proofness, etc. They vary a lot.
--
Sue

What do you call silly money? How do you wish to record the camera's image? What is the lighting like at night time? Do you want to use the recordings as evidence if somethime happens to your property? What view do you want from the camera? Wide angle or close range?
Adam
Black & White is better for seeing in the dark. Look for the "Lux level". The Lower the "Lux level" the better it sees in the dark. If you want a good camera, then I would recommend a Voltek one. http://www.voltek.co.uk/B&W-Cameras.asp (Model 1870). It has a buit in PIR with bleeps when people walk in front of it. Great if you have a blind spot at the side of the house and lets you knows someones about. If you want a cheap one then you can get a one from here http://www.lloydspharmacy.co.uk/home-page/whats-new/home_cctv_security_camera.htm
Flump

The PIR is a nice touch but the cam is only 0.1Lux, for that sort of money I'd be expecting better, 0.003Lux here at lower cost but no PIR: http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/low_light_camera.htm
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

What aload of rubbish, I install camera's for a living, colour all the way. I will sell you a sony chipped day and night camera for 95 inc postage. All you hve to do then is connect it to a 14" combi tv set ( tv and vcr ) or a d.v.r with ahard drive. I have 8 cams at my home in leeds, all colour.
No offence to any one
Kind Regards
Micky leeds uk
0113 2601629 07984073882
any time.
btw
all cams are wide angle 3.6 mm lens.

Ta,
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
So what is a load of rubbish? Care to elaborate? Seeing as you "claim" to do this sort of thing for a living?

Hi, why use black and white is this day and age?
Regards
Micky
But which is better in low light conditions? B&W or Colour? Or Are the switchable ones that cheap?

Good camera's are no longer that expensive, and they are colour, mine have 57 led's that let it see in the dark.
Kind Regards.
Mick Modern Security Systems.
Leeds.