OT: TV Repair??

Page 3 of 4

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And is that likely to change? The adjustment on CRT, that is.
--
Rod

At the moment there is no suitable alternative to Grade 1 CRT monitors. Which is causing problems for location stuff as small Grade 1 CRT monitors are no longer made.
--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thanks for the response.
So everything will be adjusted using old (and hence, implicitly, possibly knackered) CRTs. :-)
Doesn't there come a point at which it might be desirable to change (e.g. to LCD) because that is what most people are viewing the end result on? (I know, the reductio of that is to use a 2" speaker in a bean can to monitor Radio 1 output.)
--
Rod

Rod wrote:

I went through about an hour of doing just that here on this Mac,as color photos were looking 'odd'
But mostly people don't. They want bright vivid colors not true rendition. I found the same with the new digital camera. I followed one guys recommendations. He lives i california. The result on a grey english afternoon were ridiculous, so I went back to the defaults, and suddenly I was out of kodak gold mode, into kodachrome mode...
Remember when the Beeb transitted test cards?
Long gone.

On the contrary - they still do on Freeview, although it's not the best quality and doesn't work on all receivers:
- Go to channel 105 (BBCi) and press Yellow - Switch to any other channel, then back to 105 - Press Green and wait for the word 'Secret' to appear, followed by transmitter/receiver info - Press in order - 3, 3, 5, 8, 2, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
Mathew
Mathew Newton wrote:

Me thinks BBC should stop this nancying about hiding it, and make this page normally viewable for us mortals.
In the old days of analogue teletext anyone could pull up the 'clock cracker' and other test pages. Didn't need things like the launch codes for nuclear missiles entered...
... unless you actually *can* launch nuclear missiles by a hidden page on DTT freeview and HM government is keeping stumm about it...
--
Adrian C

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:33:27 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

Just be careful if random button pushing brings a screen up with the words "Do you want to play a Game?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Not knackered. They can be kept going quite well for the time being.

Would that be LCD, Plasma, DLP, or one of the other techniques in the pipeline? ;-)

Indeed.
--
*It\'s this dirty because I washed it with your wife\'s knickers*

explained on 05/06/2008 :

That sounds like it wasn't adjusted properly. You turn the contrast to minimum and set the black level using the brightness control, then you set the white level using the contrast control. The two should not interact (changing either shouldn't affect the other), if it does the set is poor quality. On a lot they did interact and it was difficult to get a good picture, not always the cheap sets either.
PeterMcC wrote:

But they are in general more power hungry - plasmas. Run bloody hot.
Paul King wrote:

been clean colorwise for about 2 years now.

If it developed 'suddenly' then the most likely cause is a bad joint on the tube base in either the green or red output amplifiers, depending on whether it is a pink tinge on the highlights indicating an excess of red content, or a pinky purple tinge on lowlights, indicating a lack of green content. Either way, it would probably be short-term adjustable, but repair would not be expensive, if this is indeed the problem, which is a common one on all makes and models. Other possibilities include data corruption in the EEPROM that stores the various settings, and less likely, the tube itself. Although tubes can fail suddenly in this way, if some crap and corruption falls off one of the cathodes and lodges against the grid, the effects of this tend to be more severe than a 'tinge'. Tubes tend to fail gently over a protracted period of time.
Arfa
Arfa Daily wrote:

If the pink tinge is: - in the dark areas, you need to adjust the red black level - on whites but blacks are ok, you need to adjust green drive, and if that doesnt work, increase voltage to the tube heater, which should give you a long time more from it - if it really is all over, you'll need to adjust the red black level and drive.
Chances are its a fairly easy fix, though it may require a 33-50% voltage boost to the tube heater. Wehn I say easy fix, I mean if you have electronics skills. Without them its best not to get fried, tvs are riddled with serious risks internally.
If it is falling emission though, be very ware of repair shops, who tend to rejuve tubes. This gives a great short term result, but after a few months its then beyond repair. For some reason tube boosting seems to have fallen from general knowledge in the repair trade, so thats a diy option.
Tube boost is usually done by either of: - add an extra turn on the LOPT, connecting it in series with the tube heater supply - move tube heater power from a regulated rail to its unregulated side, which gives around 4-5v extra
NT

Most of the replies about positronic diffusers and flux capacitors went over my head, but if you haven't already - try reconnecting any cables from other equipment attached to the TV (or if they pass through another device, reconnect the cables on that device too). I've had colour tinges caused by loose SCART cables before.

You'd normally totally lose one (or more) colour totally with a SCART cable not fully plugged in. Which gives more than a 'tinge'.
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

John wrote on 03/06/2008 :

Have you recently altered the orientation of the TV in the room?
That, combined with faulty degaussing circuit could produce that problem. If only switched on and off via the remote, the degaussing circuits do not operate. You might try turning it off at the socket a few times, but leave a few minutes between to allow the circuit cool down and recover.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

No TV did not move. Switched on (via TV button not remote) and the picture was pink coulored all over.

Still the same in the morning after a long time to "cool down and recover". I think (hopefully) the TV is cattled!!
Cheers
John

Have you followed my advice?
--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

I made sure ALL the scarts were plugged in at both ends and still the same pink tinge to the whole picture. I am pretty sure the TV is broken and I am just waiting for SWMBO to say she is sick of looking at a pink picture! Tomorrow is Friday so a telly shopping trip is beconning on Sat/Sun.
Cheers
John

That wasn't my advice. It needs the grey scale adjusted - that's all.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you\'re full of shit.