Oscillating tools - anyone taken the plunge?

I was doing a really awkward central heating pipe cut the other day with a combination of Dremel, hacksaw, and skinned knuckles. Whilst the Dremel is great for some things, it has very little cutting depth even with my 90 degree adapter and larger cutting wheels.
So I'm thinking of adding an oscillating tool to my Christmas list for those in-situ cutting tasks. Anyone got one of these yet and if so, which one? I gather Dremel do one called a multi-max, Bosch have one called the PMF 180E All Rounder (Argos).
TIA, Midge.

I saw something the other day. If you want something to do the job and to last buy Bosch. If you can't get or afford Bosch buy Ryobi.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

I just picked me a bosch pmf 180E for christmas but dont get it from argos its cheaper at B&Q http://tinyurl.com/yjzpxfe
& it was even cheaper as they were running an extra 15% off, not sure if the 15% is still running though .
Cheers - got one on a ring and reserve at 50 until end of tomorrow. I'd be happy with that to be honest!

And if you are over 60, and can wait till Wednesday, it'll be even cheaper still at B&Q. (Apply for a free B&Q Diamond Over60s card ASAP)

...but are they actually worth having? I ask because I've been tempted but can't quite convince myself that they are as good/versatile as the manufacturers suggest, ...although maybe at 50 (plus my over 60) it's worth a go!
Peter

Dunno about the oscillator, but the over60s card is CERTAINLY worth having.
I ask because I've been tempted but

Peter Andrews wrote:

They are the mutts nuts. Mine never leaves the van.
Its one of those 'get you out of trouble' tools TBH. Not something used every day, but a tool that will do jobs nothing else will do. They are also fantastic detail sanders.
Only downside is the cost/longevity of the blades.
The Bosch PMF 180 is a clone of the Fein Multimaster since the patent expired.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

if you are over 60 an oscillating tool might just be a pipe dream
On 28/11/2009 23:38, Midge wrote:

Not exactly an Oscillating cutter, but this is on the TV at the minute, But since its from JML, I am a bit concerned with its power. There is a wee video on the JML site when you click the "click here to buy".89.99
http://www.exaktsaw.org.uk /
--
Regards
Camdor.

I was watching this being demonstrated (video on the JML stand) in Robert Dyas store yesterday, but to be honest I've never had much faith in JML products.
here are some youtube videos for the Bosch PMF 180E

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PMF+180E+&search_type=&aq=f

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint!) I'm a good few years from over-60 deals ;)
Midge.

All,
Thanks for all your replies. I used my Bosch for the first time in anger yesterday. This was to chop a bit off the end of a copper pipe and I have to say, this is a great bit of kit! My mini tube cutter couldn't get around, so I'd have been struggle for ages with my hacksaw blade holder. The cut was distortion free and reasonably quick.
As far as I can see the only downsides are:

So if you're still struggling for ideas for your Christmas list, you could a lot worse (and most of us probably will!).
Midge