Old enamel bath

I have a very old enamel bath has has been "re-dressed" once at the cost of the local authority, problem is a year down the line and its looking jaded again. Parts of the enamel feel rough to the touch and concequently those areas get water marks and stains that i cannot remove with cream cleaner. When it was "re-dressed" the chap used what looked like wet and dry on a polishing wheel to cut it back and polish it. Question is can i do this proceedure my self or do you need a special "cutting compound", if not any pointers on how to tackle this myself.
PS: Dont really want to use one of the paint on products if i can help it............

mr.dazza@"butt plug"gmail.com