Old consumer units

I have two old Wylex wired fuse consumer units lying around. They are the 4-way bakelite type with hardwood surrounds, and they are complete with the fuseholders. Both are in excellent condition, and I am very reluctant to throw them away (I hate waste!). Do they have any useful function for anyone these days?

If they are in that good a condition, a collector might be interested. You could try ebay maybe?

Worthless. Sorry
Adam

Yes they may be worthless, but there are some strange people that collect items like that. Film companies do, so do the manufacturers as they often have a history of old items produced through the years. To some they would be amazing.
[Default] On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:39:11 -0000, a certain chimpanzee,
wrote:

IANAnElectrician, but I think they can still be installed & comply with 17th Ed regulations. Or a merangue?
--
Hugo Nebula
randomly hit the keyboard and

It is doubtful that they would comply with the 17th edition regs.
The regs usually require an RCD. Even if the cables were run in such a way that an RCD was not needed most Wylex boxes are not suitable as they do not have the plastic back on them (it was an extra when you bought the box).
There is a 4 way Wylex fuse box on ebay at the moment. 20 Buy it now and no bids.
Cheers
Adam

Many house still have them, so worthless really and new stuff is so cheap. AJ

Many house still have them, so worthless really and new stuff is so cheap. AJ
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm not really thinking about whether or not they are worth anything, just if they had any use these days. It just seems such a waste to throw them away.

Two choices:
1. Put safely away - never again to see the light of day
2. Throw it away - and within 24 hours someone will ask if you have still got it!
Peter