Oil Filled Radiator

Are these OK for batroom use? My Mums bathroom is very cold at the moment (obviously). She is toying with the idea of a De Longhi radiator with a hole drilled through the wall and plugged into a socket on the landing. If I cut the plug off and drill a hole for the cable and re attach the plug will it be safe using the rad in this situation. I was thinking of shortening the cable so there would be no chance of it finding it's way into the bath.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Am wondering if the rad has any electric switchgear (ON/OFF thermostat etc) that may be used by a wet person from a bath??

Bad idea that.

Lol

Reply to
Lol

Personally I would only fit a heater that was designed for bathroom use, and I don't know whether this applies to the De Longhi. Have you thought about installing a bathroom ceiling heat and light unit? You just replace the existing ceiling light with one of these:

DIY

Gosh -- it's 40 years since I've seen one of those. The one in the picture looks like it would fail a PAT test as you can touch the silica glass element tube (which counts as a live part for PAT test purposes) through the grill, so it's not IP2X.

Personally, I like wall mounted fan heaters for bathrooms. Trouble is that pressure to reduce prices means they all seem to be fitted with crap quality pull-cord switches. I would be tempted to fit a separate pullcord switch to control the heater (a shower pullcord switch would be fine).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Likewise ,parents had one in the sixties. The other half wants something similar but I put her off as i was not sure if heaters could be installed on a lighting circuit.Plus its ugly. Would this come under PAT testing as I do not see it as being portable and likely to be installed out of touching range in normal use?

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

There are special rules in the UK for electrical equipment to be installed in bathrooms. The requirements depend on where in the bathroom the equipment is placed relative to the bath or shower, see BS 7671 section 601 which you should be able to access at the local library. There is also a requirement that the equipment should only be installed by an Part P-certified electrician.

In general I would recommend that you only install a heater designed specifically for bathroom use. Try doing a Goggle UK search there are lots available.

I hope this helps

BillB

Yorkshire lad in exile.

Reply to