O T:- I have lost my hard drive

Page 1 of 2
I have been building a computer up from parts donated.
I have put in an 80Gb hard drive which is split into 2 x 40Gb (or thereabouts). I used fdisk on another machine to create the 2 sections. The first I created was 40Gb for drive C which I then made active. I then used the rest of the drive as drive D logical drive.
Having put it into the computer and installed Windows XP everything was working fine. I formatted drive D within Windows and all was well.
I installed yet another 20Gb drive just for my personal files area. upon booting up, Windows XP recognised that the new drive was there and said it was installed and ready for use. I could even see it in Device Manager.
The problem is, the 20Gb drive does not show up in Windows Explorer, so the question is, "Where has my drive gone".
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On 30/01/2011 16:01, the_constructor wrote:

Probably needs either a format or a drive letter assigning. Have a look in disk administrator.
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
✖

I had some issue adding in extra HDD to my VISTA PC ... I downloaded free copy of Paragan Partition Manager - worked a treat
Add pictures here
✖
On 30/01/2011 16:01, the_constructor wrote:

Start - Run - Type 'diskmgmt.msc' ( without the quotes )into the box and hit enter.
Find the drive there, and see how it's described. R-click the drive gives options to format and assign a drive letter.
--
Ron

Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 30, 4:01 pm, "the_constructor"

Use a decent OS and you dont have all this going on. Try ubuntu if P4, Antix or Puppy if older, and DSL if it doesnt have 128M ram.
NT
Add pictures here
✖
In article

Or OS X. Drive letters are so 1970.
--
Tim

✖
On 30/01/2011 17:24, Tabby wrote:

Yup. Quite simple in Linux,
Just open up a terminal window, open a su shell, do a fdisk -l, mount -t /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3, and symlink that to somewhere more friendly or do tar -xjfv ~/gparted-0.7.1.tar.bz2, ./configure, make, make check, make install, run gparted, select disk, select partition, and format... In case you get stuck, have another net connected PC standing by to spend the rest of your life googling arcane error messages that apply specially to one distribution and release and not the next.
:-|
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
✖
Adrian C wrote:

partitioned and formatted. That's what I do. To quote a certain meerkat:- "Seemples"
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Add pictures here
✖

Oh, don't they have Disk Utility in Linux then? I just plug it in, click format, give the new disk a name, all done.
--
Tim

✖
On 30/01/2011 18:47, Tim Streater wrote:

What?!! they've made it work like Windows? :p
OK I was being a bit facetious with the linux skit there.
But still, when adding a new or alien drive to an operating system, tools like like disk administrator/manager, fdisk or gparted are necessary to manage partitioning. Of course the user may elect to use the entire space as one big volume clump, and skip the gory details.
But on Windows, and for lazy user convenience, most USB hard drives come pre-formatted (think back to the early day supply of pre-formatted DOS floppy discs) with FATx or NTFS and these users never visit the partitioning tools, as above.
So they are just not that familiar with 'installation tech level tools' when it comes to installing bare drives. The OPs query is one that is quite common IME, above the lower level ones of SATA mode, jumpers, 4k block firmware etc...
Drive letters in Windows remain and royally screw up software installs if partitions have to be moved. In linux there are device entries. kind of like drive letters, that point to partitions (hda1,2,3...) that can be mounted and symlinked with some flexibilty, making everything appear as one volume (if ye want to).
Ye can now do the same in windows (and have been for some time in the world before e.g. SUBST), but Microsoft have muddied the whole thing now and it's an immature mess. I could look at something that looks as it is a symbolic link, nonchalantly delete the link, and then subsequently find it actually was a hard link and all the folders below are now gone, not to be found in the recycle bin. :-(
I hence stick to drive letters....
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
✖

On the Macintosh you plug in the drive (USB, Firewire, etc, ...) double-click on Disk Utility, select the drive, and choose what type of file system you want installed and what partitions you want. Defaults to HFS+ Journaled one partition, so nothing to do usually other than give the disk a name and click Format. This is true whether the drive was previously formatted or not.
And guess what - no drive letters.
If it's a stick and I'm likely to be sending it to a Windows user I'll format it as FAT or ExFat (whatever that may be) as Windows users appear to be poorly served in terms of knowing about other file systems.

You poor sods. Fancy having to deal with any of that.

I'll offer up prayers.
--
Tim

✖
Tim Streater wrote on Jan 30, 2011:

The trouble with the Mac OS is that whatever the format, it leaves a whole lot of hidden files on any drive that it opens. This normally doesn't matter but I had a Garmin gps unit that totally freaked after I tried to read its flash card with my Mac.
--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
Mike Lane wrote:

Left my Nikon camera cluttered up with them all.
Add pictures here
✖

What version are you running?
I think it no longer does that with drives not formatted in HFS+. The memory card my wife's Pentax uses can be snapped in two to turn it into a USB stick (this process is reversible, BTW :-) and I just did that and checked in Terminal: no extra files added. She always plugs the card into her Mac and downloads the images that way to save battery. She's using 10.5.8 and I'm running latest SL.
So it's no longer a problem.
--
Tim

✖
Tim Streater wrote on Jan 31, 2011:

then moving the card to a Windows machine?
I'm running 10.6.6 and I just tried mounting an empty MS-DOS formatted memory stick. There were three hidden folders placed on it: .fseventsd .Spotlight-V100 .Trashes
[.Trashes] is where deleted files are kept temporarily for example. I don't think OS X could function normally without it . I assume the other two folders are also fairly essential.
--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Hmmm, furtle furtle ... yes, you're right, these are created at the root of the drive when it's mounted. It was the .DS_store files that appear no longer to be created in each directory. I know that used to be a problem. SWMBO's Pentax doesn't appear to care, either way.
--
Tim

✖
Tim Streater wrote on Jan 31, 2011:

Most things don't, but my Garmin GPSmap76 definitely does (it's a bug, I think). As I said though it isn't really a problem. BlueHarvest completely (and transparently) fixes it.
--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 18:21:33 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

Extreme LOL!
Been there, done that... :)
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Why would you do any of that? Just put the live cd in, and it'll deal with partitioning & formatting during the install, automatically if wished. Linux has come a long way since the early days, just as windows has.
And for adding HDDs after installation, you can plug and unplug them pretty freely, as with windows.
NT
Add pictures here
✖

If you had a real job, you would not have the time to waste playing with dimestore computer parts.
Add pictures here
✖