Noisy Hot Water Pipes

Hi,

I'm desperate. Recently whenever we turn on the hot water taps or shower there is a very loud noise from the pipes which only stops some while after the taps are turned off. The taps are not spluttering so I don't think there is an airlock (I may be wrong), and it doesn't happen with the cold taps.

It started this week after the hot water cylinder vented a load of steam into the expansion tank.

Heating system seems fine. Bled radiators to release the airlocks in them. Before I fork out on a plumber is this something I can sort myself?

Thx

lsd Get the f**k out to reply.

Reply to
lsd

Just found the FAQ and the consensus is water hammer Just run the hot water and looked in the cold water tank at the ball valve which seems fine.

Faq also suggested inhibiter which I'm guessing is some liquid to stop the pipes getting blocked so reducing the internal bore. If so how do I add the inhibiter.

lsd Get the f**k out to reply.

Reply to
lsd

You need to describe the noise.

You don't use inhibitor in the tap water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Phew. Thx Get the f**k out to reply.

Reply to
lsd

How to win friends and influence people.

Reply to
malc