no hot water with central heating but with immersion

HI

Just this week I've discovered that even though my central heating (oil) is on full and the radiators are hot the water is not heating. However it heats up fine when I put on the immersion heater.

Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

Craig

Reply to
craig20

Possibly a faulty thermostat on the hot water tank - telling the system that the water is hot when it isn't. Or maybe the diverter valve that squirts hot water from the boiler to either or both central heating and tank.

Assuming a conventional system.

Reply to
Derryck Croker

You need to identify the type of system that you have before you can start to look for faults,

a good start. Y plan and S plan are the most common.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I had the opposite problem last year. The boiler would fire up for the water but not for the heating. Turned out to be the syncronished motor in the diverter valve. About £10 to replace and 5 mins work.

Reply to
diy-newby

You could also check the hot water 'stat on the hot water tank (not the integral immersion heater stat) Had one stick recently giving same problem .

CJ

Reply to
cj