New Interior Doorway

Hi. I'm thinking about putting a doorway from my hall into my garage. Not sure if the wall is loadbearing, but because it's a sort of main exterior wall, i'm thinking it is. This will be confirmed before i go a head with the work, if it is then i'm assuming a lintel is all that is needed. Anyway, my main concern is, the hall has just been replastered, is there a hint on how i can knock out the hole for door and lintel without damaging the plaster? Cheers

You're going to have to damage it in the form of a bloody great door-shaped hole in it. Not to mention a longer gap above the door where the lintel will go. I assume you mean without damaging it further than is necessary beyond the margins of the door.
But given that half of the bricks you remove will have to be either cut in half in situ or removed and replaced I don't hold out much hope.
I think you're going to have to bite the bullet, chop it out, then call the plasterer.
Steve
T wrote:

As shazzbat has said in his post, along with the fact that this will come under Building Control regs with regards to having to fit a fire resisting door and frame.
Brian G
Where can i view these Building Control regs ? I was not aware of having to fit a fire resisting door and frame, as the garage will be altered into another room. The garage door will be replaced with a brick up and window.

T wrote:

You can buy the book from HMSO, look for them on-line or contact the local Building Control Department.

If you are going to do that, then you entering yet another minefield of Building Control regs *and* possibly planning control. Especially if you are converting the garage into a "habitable" room for extra living space.
I would advise nipping into see the local BCO and ask him to confirm what is needed for this project under the current Building Regs.
Brian G

Is the floor in the garage lower than the one in the hall ? regs will call for a difference of at least 115mm ( I think)
Phian
Thanks Phian , why is this the case with the floor levels? Is it to cause a "trip hazard" walking from one room to the other! So people can sue easily?

T wrote:

Garage floor is lower so that any spilt fuel/heavy inflammable vapour won't go in under the door.
--
Sue