new argos flueless gas fire

just saw the new argos catalogue. they are doing something called a ' Landscape flueless gas fire'. £399. it is glass fronted and they say is 100 percent efficient. also it needs no flue and no chimney.

they also say the room its used in must not be smaller than 27 cubic metres.

what happens to all the nasty gases we are warned about that are normally vented up the chimney i ask my self. would it really be safe in a tiny front room in my tiny terraced house?

Reply to
JWH

Same as happens when you use a gas cooker in the kitchen. There won't be any nasty gasses unless the appliance is faulty, or the room is unsuitable. Of course, you may not want that volume of water vapour or CO2 released into the house, but that's the price you pay for having no flue.

It depends if the room meets the manufacturer's requirements on volume and ventilation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Argos sell several Kidde CO alarms, perhaps they should throw one in!

You could get both on 16 day trial I guess and see if CO is being detected; get the digital CO alarm, the 0146.

Gas cooker grills are known to be hazardous as they are rarely serviced, grill jets gets blocked with fat.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
Gel

They go though a catalitic convertor (like on a car) you need good venting for the room and they cost twice as much as a normally vented gas fire.

-- zaax

Reply to
zaax

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:05:09 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "JWH" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I think it's assumed that you have sufficient background (trickle) and rapid ventilation (opening window of 1/20th of the floor area). The minimum volume assumes that at a 'normal' air change per hour rate, there is sufficient air for the combustion + breathing, and the nasty gases go out the window.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula