Need a 220 line

I just bought a welder and I need to put a 220 line in my garage. There are currently no 220 lines in my house. I live in NYC so i'm sure that there's 220 coming into my house. When it comes to my breaker box I don't know a lot at all. I can literally wire a car from scratch but when it comes to home electrics all I know is how to change switch's and outlets and run wires through a wall. I have included pictures of my breaker box. The garage is on the other side of the wall of the box. Running the wire is not a problem. Really all I will need is about 4ft of wire. I just have no clue as to how to get 220 from the box. Thank you in advance for your responses.
Pictures of my breaker box here: http://img560.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=imag0728.jpg
-------------------------------------

You might get no useful replies as this a UK newsgroup and we get our electricity supplied at 230V
--
Adam

On Thu, 5 May 2011 17:10:58 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

Well that's well & truly tinkled on the poor guy's bonfire. Couldn't you just break it to him gently that a slight increase of cable length would be needed.
Methinks he did the same geography course as Palin.
HN

Well as he will probably never see our replies we can say what we want:-)
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

None the less Adam, with a 'handle' like that, it may not be wise to upset the fellow. LOL
Cash
On Fri, 6 May 2011 22:30:54 +0100, "Cash"

Breaker box? Do they really fit these things in populated areas?
HN

Simples. Just connect two supply leads. Baz
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Need-a-220-line-24308-.htm Johnny G wrote: BombSquad91 wrote:

Your Federal Pacific circuit breaker box appears to be maxed out with no spaces available. You may be able to check the cover to see if some additional thin circuit breakers can be added to free up two slots. In a nutshell, you need two available slots in your circuit breaker panel so that you can install a full size two pole circuit breaker in there for your welder.
Your other options are to replace the panel entirely with a larger one with less of a questionable history or you can add a sub-panel adjacent to the existing panel.
------------------------------------- Johnny G http://www.MrElectrician.tv