Mount Plasma T.V. over Fireplace to 1x4 studs

My fiance wants me to mount our plasma tv over our fireplace, which occupies a "hollow" built-out column (a gas fireplace that protrudes 20" from the main wall, with a drywall shell built around it, if that makes sense)
Anyway, the area over the fireplace has vertical studs that are 1" wide by 4" deep. The studs are 12" away from each other. If I hit the studs in the center, will they be able to support 85lbs of tv + bracket?
It's a 42" t.v., so I was planning on hitting 3 studs (6 lag bolts in total)
So will it hold if I do ge tthe center of the studs?
-------------------------------------

Yep, no problem, you're wise to spread the load over the 3 studs and 1x4" will handle that weight fine. As the wood is narrow I would pilot drill the holes first to avoid splitting it and go for 2" min penetration into the stud.
Btw, not a fan of flashnewsgroups access to this group but intelligent, well put questions deserve an answer, however delivered.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

On 30/04/2011 13:24, Stephen wrote:

He means because it will get hot it will break more quickly. :)
Andy
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Mount-Plasma-T-V-over-Fireplace-to-1x4-studs-24286-.htm steveshapiro wrote:
jman965765 wrote:

Every TV comes with an instruction booklet that specifically discusses its weight and hanging arrangements. Most of them are fairly straight-forward and include pre-positioned holes for this very purpose, you just need to make sure your WALL (above the fireplace) itself can take it all.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Mount-Plasma-T-V-over-Fireplace-to-1x4-studs-24286-.htm jman965765 wrote: That was the essential question - will it hold with those skinny studs.
After waiting forever for my extra-length cables to run behind the wall, and then my brother to get back from vacation to help me lift it up, I am proud to say that we mounted the t.v. last night, and it's still up this morning.
Thanks, everyone.